Fasnacht (Basel Carnival)


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Basel
March 9th 2006
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Swiss GuardsSwiss GuardsSwiss Guards

The Swiss making fun of themselves, here dressing like the Swiss guards in the Vatican, supposedly protecting the pope
OK since we've returned from South Africa, we are back in the winter zone of Basel, but now it's the beginning of the end of winter, because Fasnacht is upon us. Running annually since perhaps the 11th century, Fasnacht is the beginning of the fasting season of lent (although the Swiss are primarily non-Catholic). The festival, which begins the Monday after Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) is marked by music, merriment, food, drink, and amazing costumes.

It always begins with the "Morgenstraich" Monday at 4 am, when all the lights in the city are turned off; the huge illuminated lanterns accompanied by loud marching bands begin promenading through the narrow streets of downtown Basel, for 72 straight hours.

Most groups are cliques: clubs or guilds, which practice for months (to be exact, 11 months, 3 weeks, and 6 days) in advance, feature pipes and drums, and play music that is both traditional-Swiss as well as international (even hip-hop). Some are full brass bands with trombones, trumpets, and tubas. All groups have outlandish costumes and hand out written "Schnitzelbanks," which are poetic satires on the events of the year.

Accompanying the marching bands are "Waggis," or wise fools (in the
Evi Measures the SnowEvi Measures the SnowEvi Measures the Snow

We got 12 inches (30 cm) of snow overnight.
disguise of a monster) riding on huge floats, handing out prizes, such as oranges, candies, flowers, trinkets, or a handful of confetti for the overly eager.

Want to hear some sounds? Go to




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

GuggenmusicGuggenmusic
Guggenmusic

It sounds disorganized, but these are all accomplished musicians.
Blanket of WhiteBlanket of White
Blanket of White

Downtown Basel rests beneath the snow.
Wise FoolsWise Fools
Wise Fools

Each club has its own set of costumes, featuring the Waggis, a wise fool who bestows gifts, or plays a joke, on the people.
Restaurant in Downtown BaselRestaurant in Downtown Basel
Restaurant in Downtown Basel

Restaurants are open 24 hours during Fasnacht.
Tons of ConfettiTons of Confetti
Tons of Confetti

If you look too eager for a free gift, you'll receive a handful of confetti. Keeps you humble.
Some Clubs are 100 Years Old.Some Clubs are 100 Years Old.
Some Clubs are 100 Years Old.

More than 10,000 people take part in the cliques, marching musical clubs.
Who's Yo Papa?Who's Yo Papa?
Who's Yo Papa?

Groups spend weeks making the costumes.
A Great Vantage PointA Great Vantage Point
A Great Vantage Point

Warm room, hot tea, great view.
This is Where We LiveThis is Where We Live
This is Where We Live

View of Rumeli Platz, where we live in downtown Basel. For three nights the party raved just outside our window.
Day and NightDay and Night
Day and Night

The music and marching last all day and all of the night.
Cheese ToastCheese Toast
Cheese Toast

What is Switzerland without its cheese?
Take a BreakTake a Break
Take a Break

Marchers leave their expensive instruments and costumes on a street while taking a break. Of course, Swiss honesty protects their possessions.
Choose MeChoose Me
Choose Me

Who is more beautiful?
Somebody Has to Clean UpSomebody Has to Clean Up
Somebody Has to Clean Up

Of course, being Swiss, the clean-up takes place each night at 4 AM, so every morning the streets are ready for a new assault of confetti.


9th March 2006

Basels most beautiful 3 days
Fantastic pictures !
13th October 2006

picture
the "Guggenmusic It sounds disorganized, but these are all accomplished musicians" pictures looks distorted to me. Maybe the file got corrupted? The rest of the photos are beautiful.
27th August 2010
Marching madness

can I use this photo?
hi, my name is so-young I'm a korean editor, I'm making comic books for children about swiss's culture and history. i'm looking for some photo of Basel Fasnacht, and find out this blog. can i use this one photo to our new book? i'll write on the copyright beside the photo on book. please reply about it. I'll wait your e-mail. thank you.

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb