Haetzingen, Glarus: Klontal Lake and a walk in the Linth valley


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Glarus
September 30th 2018
Published: September 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Once again we have another lovely sunny and calm day although we expect it to change for tomorrow. This is therefore our last chance to experience the mountains around here before heading home. There is a lake called Klontal in a valley near Glarus and it looks lovely in the pictures so it would be a shame to leave this valley without a visit. We could get the train and then bus up there but since it is a Sunday, Marc could take us up in the car and we could walk along the lake track. We packed a picnic and set off with the backpack for Sophia and packs for us. It was a good theory but fell down in that Sophia was having nothing to do with the backpack and let the entire lake hear all about it. So, out of the pack and to a slow toddlers walk instead. Never mind, the lake is stunningly beautiful, surrounded by trees and with the soaring mountains of this area all around. It isn't a natural lake but a dammed valley for electricity. The road up is narrow and winding but there is heaps of parking and picnic areas to enjoy. I doubt that there would be too much sun in the winter but one side of the lake was bathed in sunlight today with mirror image reflections of the mountains in the lake. This area would be great to visit in the summer for family activities, boating and swimming. Since it was cold on the shaded walking side of the lake we headed back to Haetzingen after lunch.

We hadn't really walked down the valley from Haetzingen so Irvy, Linds and I set off on an upper path through farmland then down along the river to Swanden. It's a lovely path on a day like today and you get a better idea of how the population lives with their houses dotted over the countryside amongst farms. The train only comes through once an hour so the last part of our walk was at speed yet again to get to a train on time so we arrived over-heated. It was lovely to sit down for the journey back again. That brings to an end our enjoyment of the many places to visit here. It would have been nice to have got a bus over the Klausen Pass for one of the days but the bus timetable would not work for us. Never mind. Next time? Tomorrow will be a city visit and then back to NZ.

Advertisement



30th September 2018

Thanks
Thanks for sharing your holiday with us, our daily magazine read! Such beautiful, cared- for land in a small country.You will be looking forward to seeing the lovely Taranaki flora now !

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb