Introduction to Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
July 1st 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.3327, 18.0645

Were back at the hotel now for our second night in Stockholm. Today has been a pretty busy and exhausting day. Yesterday, started the same. We were up early on Vision of the Seas. We had breakfast and disembarked the ship around 9am. From the port, we had a good 30 to 40 minute hike with packs to the nearest metro station at Gardet. After the first couple minutes, its really not bad wearing the packs. We enjoy the exercise. It was relatively easy to navigate the metro, into central and a change of lines up to Odenplan station. We arrived at our Best Western hotel around half past 10. They didn't have rooms available, so we sat in the lobby on wifi for a couple hours before getting the key to room 314.
Having had a hectic cruise, we opted to use today as a rest day. Staying in and resting, watching some TV. We were happy to find a supermarket next door with cheap food and drinks. Like last cruise, we again had departed with some cheap Grey goose. For dinner that night, we had fish and chips and a drink at a nearby sports bar whilst watching live Swedish football. That was our first night.
This morning, we were up around 8.30. The beds here sure are comfy! A delicious buffet breakfast awaited us. Bacon, eggs, pancakes and fruit. Like in Copenhagen we packed sandwiches for lunch. Also like Copenhagen, we decided to buy the city's discount card, here called the Stockholm Pass. Here, for 600 Swedish Krona, ($100Aud each) we got a 48 hour pass that included all public transport and attraction entry fees. Again, these cards proved worthwhile. They encourage you to squeeze out value and maximize experience. Today alone, we've completed about 550 Krona worth of experience and fun! It all kicked off on Gamlastan Island, getting there via underground metro. From the station we ambled through Old Town, wandering through little shops, on cobblestone roads by old style buildings. I really enjoyed a Viking store, and found some runes of interest here. On from Old Town, we walked up to the Royal Palace District.
The Palace was spectacular indeed, untouched since the 18th century, and still used on occasion for diplomatic guest accommodation. Queen Elizabeth stayed here just last year. The Staterooms were intricately and beautifully furnished in Baroque renaissance style. There were several other places of interest to visit here, the crown jewels in the treasury, the Cathedral, and the Armory Museum. We saw them all, along with what appeared to be a grand changing of the guard ceremony complete with brass band. The armory featured an intriguing exhibit about 'King' Catherine of Sweden, and her literature collection, with books dating back to the 9th century!
We crossed back over a bridge towards the city and headed down Strandvagen towards Djurgarden Island. We considered going straight to the infamous Vasa museum. Instead, with the sun shining, and forecast dreary for tomorrow, we chose instead to go to the Skansen open air Museum instead. This turned out to be even more fun than we had anticipated! The general premise of the museum is a historical re-creation of Swedish life from the 14th century to the present time, much like the Beamish museum in Durham or Sovereign Hill back in Australia. For good measure there was also a mini zoo and aquarium attached. We spent a couple hours looking at historic Swedish farms, homes and stores, lemurs, crocodiles, elk and bears. We even got to pat a snake and tarantula. Yes, a tarantula, that is, a giant spider as big as your hand. He was calm, soft and furry. He wriggled a bit for Nat though!
If that wasn't enough, with the time around 5pm, there was still time to make it back to the city centre for a canal cruise. Also on the Stockholm Card, this was a good way to relax after a busy day. The scenic cruise lasted about 45 minutes and basically looped around the island of Djurgarden, by the port and back to its origin, pointing out the sights along the way. Since then, we've grabbed a quick meal at McDonald's and got on the metro back to our hotel. The train station at Kungstradgarden was actually really cool in itself! The longest escalator down Ive been on, right underground into a decorated rock cave platform! Its been a big day, and tomorrow we will give the Stockholm Card another workout.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Royal PalaceRoyal Palace
Royal Palace

No photos allowed inside, or in museums


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb