Already our first incident


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
January 20th 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left the base promptly at 9:30 am, after a team prayer and cleaning up the rooms. We drove off in our two minivans, waving goodbye to the base leaders as the snow sprinkled down. We quickly made it to Sweden, and even though it is no longer snowing, there is still much snow collected on the ground. As we left, the car was filled with a spirit of excitement and joy. We tried to get a stamp for our passports at the Sweden border but the border patrol refused.

It only took 3.5 hours into our tour before we had our first incident. I was deep into a book by Kathryn Kuhlman when our van started to pull over to the side of the road. Apparently the van following us, carrying Elisa (who was driving) and Dina started blinking its lights at us then went off the road (that van is the one with all of our sound equipment, lighting and luggage). Our leader jumped out of our van and ran back to them. A couple of us got out to see if we could see what was happening but they were too far back. Kaspars K had told us to stay there so we just started praying for God to bring us a solution or fix whatever might have happened. After a few moments, we got a phone call from the other van telling us to go back. When we got there, we saw the van had run off the road and got stuck in the snow. We started looking for tools to dig the car our but God is so good, after only a few minutes a tractor happened to drive by. With hardly any effort at all the tractor was able to pull the van out and we were again on our way. God not only answered our prayer but answered them fast! Praise God!

About an hour or so after that incident, I got to take over the wheel of the passenger vehicle. I’ve never really driven in snow or ice but I figured I might as well give it a try. We were driving pretty fast because after the bathroom breaks, a quick stop to Ikea (since we forgot the stools needed for one of our dances back at the base), and the tractor incident we had little time to waste in order to make it to the ferry on time. Thankfully, we made it to the ferry with 10 minutes to spare. Kaspars K (who was driving the equipment van) told me I was a hero for following so well. Even though we did drive pretty rapidly I never drove faster than I felt safe (don’t worry my dear parents 😊 ).

We all slept on the floor in sleeping bags on the ferry. The ferry was rocking quite a bit so many did not sleep well but I guess I was just so tired I didn’t really even notice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb