Ferry to Sweden


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 57.6955, 11.922

This morning was a pretty familiar process. Rise and shine early to catch an 8 am ferry only this time it was to Sweden. The boats are large and the North Sea crossing is 3 hours and 15 minutes. There are multiple decks with different kinds of food areas including a buffet. Liquor is served on board (too early in the morning) and there is also a Duty Free shop.

As you enter Gothenburg by boat it is apparent that there are many islands and part of the city is actually what seems to be more of a peninsula. There are also canals around the old city which are part of the fortifications.

The GPS took us right to the hotel without any problems. We were able to check in early and then walked into town. Gothenburg dates back to the 1600's and has a history related to trade and fishing. The town was originally wood frame buildings but after several fires they began using brick and stone. Like Denmark, cyclists and pedestrians come before cars. There is good public transit as well.

We walked through several areas finally coming to the city museum which was originally the East India Trading House.

It seems that Sweden is more multicultural than Denmark from what we could see on the streets. Dinner was at a Lebanese restaurant.

The museum was excellent with many exhibits tracing the history of the city as well as a Viking display.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb