Uppsala 29/6/09 to 3/7/09


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
July 9th 2009
Published: July 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

29/6/09
We arrived back in Uppsala in the early afternoon. Our friends had made plans to go for a swim at the lake, which sounded great as it was quite hot. We got ourselves organised and drove down, Linnea had her mum's fancy black convertable car and Karen went with her.

It's funny how Scandinavians make the most of what little Sun they get by flocking to small, grassy/muddy beaches. We had a nice swim, relaxed in the Sun and took a stroll through the surrounding area.

30/6/09
Tuesday was in the lead up to our final days in Sweden, and we had arranged to meet Jen for one last hurrah. First off, though, we hooked up with more of John and Linnea's friends for a few beers in the park (which is quite normal over there, so not as bogan as it sounds).

When we went to meet Jen at 'Salt' we found that things were a bit more expensive than anticipated, so after a glass of wine we took Jen back to the park to introduce her to our buddies. It was fairly uneventful, but a good time had by all.

1/7/09
Today was Simon's 21st birthday party in the corridoor on the girls' side (WAYYYYY nicer than the boys' side - sorry lads!), so once again, we made the gruelling trek to System Bolaget (man that's tiresome, especially on a super hot day). The party was a rip roaring success, although Simon had gone a little too hard on the vodka, and turned in relatively early. We had some great arguments, laughed till our sides hurt and stayed up late. Happy b'day Simon!

2/7/09
Dinner and poker with Linnea.
Well for our last night in Flogsta we had a reasonably quiet one..... yes we still drank low alcohol beer though. Linnea and another one of John's friends came round for dinner. We offerred to cook and considering everyone except us was vego, we made marinated veggies (where are 1st Froots seconds when ya need em?) and Auntie Wendy's special recipie wedges (using Creme Fraiche in place of sour cream for dipping) which we have made twice overseas at this stage (thanks Wendy)!! Dinner was delicious then we had a final night of poker with Linnea, who had grown quite fond of it by this stage. I was lots of fun and we all really enjoyed ourselves. Linnea is a great chick and we hope to see her again... perhaps in Oz!! And as for John..... well I think we have made a friend for life..... He rocks!!

3/7/09
We were well rested today, as it was to be a big travelling day! We had given ourselves plenty of time to pack and get organised, and managed to get out of Flogsta with time to spare, and didn't leave anything behind (1st time ever!). We caught a bus to Uppsala station, got on the regional train to Stockholm Central, took the shuttle bus to Skavsta airport (one of the crappiest airports I've ever seen!), then a Ryanair flight to Berlin (delayed quite a bit, and an all round sucky flight - Karen and I couldn't even sit together). In total this took 8 and a half hours, so we were pretty much over it when we met Phil, and found out the train out of Schonefeld airport had just stopped running (would've made it if our flights were running on time - thanks again Ryanair).

In Summary...
Okay, so our second jaunt in Uppsala was mainly a social engagement, but it was a great experience in itself. Super big thank you to John, Charlie, Linnea and Frida for making us feel so welcome and for being good friends. I hope you come to Australia soon so we can return the favour! We're also really looking forward to seeing John again in Belgium for Pukkelpop (4 day music festival), it's gonna be awesome!

Love ya lots kids, peace out!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb