Blood Soaked History


Advertisement
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
December 3rd 2016
Published: March 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Hello my fellow travellers! I landed in Stockholm early this morning, Marcus was busy with work and the preparations for the birthday party so I'd spend the day alone until the party in the evening. I had already decided to visit Livrustkammaren, the part of the royal palace that houses the arms and armour of the former Swedish kings and queens, I visited it once when I was a boy but it was a lon... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 160, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




10th March 2018

Swedish History
Thank you very much for this very fascinating insight into Swedish history - I must admit I know very little about it. It seems that the country indeed experienced its fair share of conflicts just a few centuries ago. I'm glad you returned safely from your trip.
11th March 2018

Swedish History
Aye, it's been a bloody past up until the early 19th century. Glad you enjoyed it my friend. :)
10th March 2018

My Swedish Royal Heritage
I was reading excitedly your tome Per-Olof and it ended abruptly for me in 1792. Why didn't you get to Charles XIV? Jean Bernadotte a French Marshall was installed as Prince Regent of Sweden by Napoleon and became Charles XIV in 1810. He married Desiree who my maternal grandmother told me was known as Empress Eugenie and was a friend of Queen Victoria. Instead of remaining an ally of France he became patriotically Swedish and sided with other countries against France. My grandmother wrote out the history of how she traced her ancestry to that family. I'll have to find that letter that she gave me when I was a child. I cannot recall if my ancestry was to Jean Bernadotte or Empress Eugenie who came from a large family. Your blog brought it all back...then you stopped at 1792. My ancestry became somewhat muddied throughout Europe as I recall there was the Count of Teba who I think was Spanish and the Kirkpatricks...somehow resulting in an Irish connection that was my maternal grandmother. I may have speck of Swedish Royal blood flowing through my Aussie veins...significantly diluted though. I have never pursued genealogies but I gotta agree it can produce interesting histories for those who have heaps of spare time to do so. I am happy in the memories of my grandmother telling these tales to me as a wide eyed child enjoying homemade scones and icecream drinking Orange Pekoe tea. I loved my grandmother. Your blog brought memories of her back...more vivid than the histories she shared with me. Thank you for that.
11th March 2018

My Swedish Royal Heritage
Aye, he was the first of the current royal lineage, our current king Carl the XVI is his descendant. The reason why I stopped at Charles XIV predecessor is because that's why the Swedish Empire effectively ended. :He was an inspiring monarch though and one that both Swedes and Norwegians was proud of. :)
10th March 2018
Gustavus Adolphus

Gustavus Adolphus
The Swedish King who led the Protestant armies to victory over the Catholics in the 30 years War. Used mobile square formations as I recall...like a chess board. He was my hero as a child...the stories of his military skill still vivid in the telling. Maybe I have more Swedish in my veins than I give credit...yep...he was my hero as a child...more than my diluted heritage referred to earlier.
11th March 2018
Gustavus Adolphus

Gustavus Adolphus
He was my hero as well. I'm actually born on Gustavus Adolphus day here in Sweden. ^_^
12th March 2018
Stockholm

The tree is not one tree
Did you know that the Christmas tree in the picture is not one tree? They take three trees I think and cut off all the branches. They then pick one of the three trunks and attach the branches of all three trees onto that one. /Ake
13th March 2018
Stockholm

The tree is not one tree
Cool, I didn't know that. :)

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 25; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb