LAST DAYS IN STOCKHOLM


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
August 6th 2012
Published: August 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have had 2 wonderful days with sunny blue skies, also lovely and warm. So driving about 20 minutes from our house is Tyresta National Park and with the help of Sally Satnav we took a country road out to the coastline. Boots on we set off for a pretty good hike through meadows, forest trails and eventually to a small still lake...then back again to have a sumptuous picnic sitting on rocks overlooking the sea...and some boats in a marina.

Then yesterday we were up early and taking the metro into the city to get down to the Quay and take a boat trip out into the archilpelago. Stockholm has 30,000 ( I think I read that somewhere) small islands in the archilpelago. WE picked this particular cruise the Stromma Kanal cruise as it cuts through some very small canals and so you get pretty close to come lovely swedish houses on the islands. Afte r3 hours sailing out to one of the bigger islands Sandhamn we docked and then had 2 hours to explore - more lying on rocks in the sun waves lapping at our feet and eating picnics before strolling around little lanes with cute wooden houses, roses tumbling over fences ( no cars here everyone is pushing buggies with their stuff in and riding bikes and little scooters like rickshaws!!!) - yes it sounds idyllic and yes it is!!! The back on board for 3 relaxing hours cruising back to Stockholm city. An excellent day outing and very good value at about £30.

So we fly back to England tomorrow and the weather changed this afternoon from a lovely hot sunny day to cloudy and tonight rain pouring down. This morning it was "mop and bucket "day - cleaning our house and getting it ready for the family to return - I have made a shepherd's pie and an apricot cake for them - so it will be nice for them not to have to cook on their first day back. It has been a lovely house swap but has gone too quickly and I agreed with Lesey today when she said we should be setting out for another place and another 2 weeks - "it's like we only just begun" ( there's a song in there somewhere!!)

Hej do Sweden - but I know I will be back...I am convnced there is Viking blood in me somewhere - I feel so much at home here.

Lynne and Lesley. xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb