2nd day sightseeing in Stockholm SWEDEN


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
July 15th 2010
Published: July 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Did not repeat the previous day’s mistake of walking too far but found our way to the metro where we purchased two 24-hour travel passes at a reduced rate of 60sek because we are retired (should be 100).
A much easier way to get into the city and we travelled straight into the Central Station as we were catching the boat for Drottingholmen Palace from nearby City Hall.
Got onto the steam boat along with a big queue and found ourselves, by choice, on top of the boat but in the middle of the deck where it was far far too hot in the direct line of the sun.
The ‘cruise’ took 45 minutes and one there, after drinking a couple of gallons of water to cool down, we did the tour of the Palace. This is where the Royal Family actually do live but two sets of apartments are open to the public. It was stunning. Marble, tapestries, paintings, carvings etc. Have never been to our own Royal Palaces and think after the two we have just seen maybe we should.
Most enjoyable visit and afterwards we walked through the park, admired some Barnacle Geese by a little lake and then returned to Stockholm centre by the steam boat again but this time sitting well out of the blazing sun.
We finished our Stockholm sightseeing with a walk up to the main square on Kungsgaten where we bought a lot of strawberries very cheaply as it was the end of the day and they were overripe.
Then walked down the main shopping street, Drottinggaten, where I spotted a birthday present for daughter Jenny so bought it for her and will post it to her in Australia tomorrow.
The bottom of this street lead us neatly to the old city where we once again admired the beautiful buildings and this truly lovely city. After a coffee and some rather fine people watching, we caught the metro back to near the campsite. This was a far easier way to travel the 2.5km and back than yesterday’s.
Astonishingly we had to switch the Tandy interior lights on as it has gone dark tonight which is the first time it has not been light for 3 weeks. This though is caused by dark storm clouds which are now hovering and waiting to empty their rain on us. We are not surprised by this as it is really too hot.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Central Stockholm Central Stockholm
Central Stockholm

from one island to another


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb