Day Three


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
January 24th 2010
Published: January 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we explored Gamla Stan. It is the "old town," an island of Stockholm dating back to the 13th Century! It is also home to the Royal Palace, the place we wondered through first. Walking through the outer courtyard, Mom and Marci notice a large crowd of spectators watching the changing of the guard; and pause. Kelly, always aware of her surroundings, with her nose in a guidebook, continues steadily on her path...right towards 4 marching guards equipped with bayonets. She may have failed to notice their advance, yet she did seem to realize that Rick would not approve of their formation and out of sync movement. Clearly, these were not West Point grads. Then again, for a country who hasn't fought a single war in over 200 years, it wasn't half bad (if that war even counted--Russia basically came to Sweden and say "yeaa, we're gonna need Finland.")

Then we walked along the water front and saw a HUGE yacht, the "af Chapman" built in 1888. Sorry Dad, this yacht isn't currently sea-faring. It has been used as a youth hostel since 1949! Walking through narrow alley-ways, with cobbled streets and colorful streets, we headed back to the Parliament
The MarchThe MarchThe March

Kelly's near run-in with the Swedish Royal guards
for a tour. Known as the "Riksdagshuset," the parliament is home to a liberal, "well-tempered" bunch of MPs (Members of Parliament). During this exciting tour, we learn about the most pressing referendums for the Swedes. According to the guide, "they may not have had to vote on the Iraq War, but they did vote to change the traffic from the left to the right side of the road." BIG issues here. By the end of this tour, we overlooked Stockholm and were able to see: 1.) The Konserthuset, where the Nobel Prizes are given, 2.) The smallest island of the Stockholm archipeligo, formally home to the largest disco, 3.) and the Swedish Environmental Ministry!

Following the tour, we refueled in the oldest Medieval cellar vault in Stockholm! We ate delicious soup in tureens along with soft brown bread with sunflower seeds.

After more walking, we came back to hotel to crash. Marci worked, while Kelly made one more venture out in the arctic weather to secure a restful night of sleep. To be continued...




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cutest Swedish ChildCutest Swedish Child
Cutest Swedish Child

Marci stalks and casually takes picture of unknowing child and father.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb