Stockholm last day


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 11th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So after ten and a half hours on the bus it was time to get a move on, Ha I was very proud of myself getting away with an extra stop!! The Swe Bus stop was right by the Central station in Kobenhavn as its spelt here. Right adjacent to the station is Tivoli Amusement Park. It was close because it was only 8 am so I walked by it looking through the gates. Across the street there was this cool looking museum with all sorts of animal scultpures.I had to take a leak, so I went in the courtyard of this museum here no one was looking, and saw this crazy devil scultpure I took a picture of. Kinda creepy I thought. Then I kept walking and saw oodles and oodles of bikes coming from everywhere. Almost as many as cars!! I took a good look at the tourist map outside of Tivoli museum to see what I was going to do. Found out there was a tourist info spot just down the road, so I figured that would probably be the best spot to figure it out. The information place didnt open untill 9 so I sat down and read an english paper and enjoyed a popeyseed pastry and an espresso to get me going. All I had was Swedish Krones and quite a few of them because everytime I take money out the bank gouges me like 4 dollars! So that was lucky. Swedish money wasn't worth near as much as Danish though. The Dali Lama was in Denmark the last four days and China was making a big deal out of the relationship between the two countries. I was getting really excited to see my family which I havent seen most of them for over 9 years!
Finally the information place opened up I got information on getting to Slagelse where Benny was going to meet me that afternoon, and got a tourist map to firgure out what I was gonna fit in today. Slagelse is about an hour train ride away so I figure I wont be going to Copenhagen too many times. So I set off from there and had to go to the washroom almost immediatly. Trouble was they didnt have one. The lady in the cafe said just down the street but most places werent open untill 10 or 11. Shit ok think fast now. Muslim guy in 7-11 said I dont know and basically turned his nose. Freaking guy I wasnt too happy with him, Woddled through the square and saw Mcdonalds and Burger King, just maybe! Nope,but they opened in like 5 mins thank GOD. I went upstairs to find the nearest stall and I walked past a staff meeting in progress. Tried the door but it was locked. Jesus thankfully one of the staff came up and punched in the code. Never thought it would be so tough! Ok that was taken care of no time to get down to the real buisiness.
I wanted to check out the National Musuem, and it was just down the road so I went there. On the way I went into this huge archaic looking building and it never really said what it was. It was free to get in, so I went in to explore. Not a whole lot inside, just tons and tons of flags. Turns out this is the mayors, or city hall I found out later. Found the National Museum and had a bit of trouble finding a place for my gigantic bag! It seems to be getting bigger and bigger somehow. No locker could take my bag so I talked to the men, waiting by the entrance and they escorted me to a room in the back. Gave me a number and I was off to enjoy the museum. I started off at Danish were three sections the Stone Age, Bronze Age, and the Steel Age. It was really interesting, A group of school kids were there all around age 6 or 7. Saw a pet dog that was over 3000 years old. Wow it was used for hunting and they ate them afterwards as well. Tonsa artifacts on vikings, swords, shields, musical instruments, log boats, and even caskets where there were real skeletons. Up stairs there was an exhibit on Danish Culture, and one thing that stood out right away, was this bright blue hut that had marijuana symbols all over it. It was an authentic botique from Christiana that was saved when the police went in there and made a major bust. I had heard a little about this place but knew that I had to find out more.
All sorts of symbols of culture, with clothes, toys, sports, living spaces, and art. It got kind of tiring after awhile and I knew that I had to get out of there because I was about to fall asleep. Haha. The Kings bedroom was pretty neat though. Solid wood carving. Amazing the amount of work put into that.
After I got my bag, I headed for the library to get in touch with Benny. Saw this HUGE lion on the way there. Had a feeling this had something to do with Denmarks history. Turns out that I was right, but didnt find this out till later. Got to the library but it was tough to navigate. All kinds of little shops and places around here. They had a poster up that said "this is not a building" odd . Anyways as a visitor not having a code there was only two computers in this huge building in which the internet could be used, right in front of the librarian. So I waited my turn. Sent Benny an email and a couple others, and left to find the Palace.
It started just pissing rain when I left the building. This was the first time I had to use my bag rain cover, which big Al got me. Thanks AL. Found a pay phone to call Benny from to see when was the best time for him to pick me up. I dont think he checks his email all the time, so this should be best. Really expensive to call a cell phone from a pay phone. I only had like 20 krone in change and this only last 1 minute!!! OUCH it cut off midsentence and I never got any information from him either. Anyways I went into a bar close to the phone and asked to get change but this haggered old lady smoking her lungs out just looked at me and said some things in Danish. Ok well then I kept walking and found what I thought would be a great place to get a traditional sandwhich from called a Smorgasbord. The lady asked me if I was moving in with my big bag and all. I said no just for one please ha. I didnt get any service, for god knows what reason they kept walking by me. Never asked me for a drink or anything. I was getting kind of angry,because I hadnt been to many restaraunts and found this to be an extravagent event. So after three more passings I said screw it and up and left. I didnt really wanna spend too much anyways so maybe it was a good plan.
I kept walking north and found the Palace with the fountain in which I specifally remember jumping into with my family last time to esape the rain. Huh rain seems to be popular in Copenhagen. Saw a bit of the change of the guard. Wasnt too amusing so I kept walking to find the famous mermaid in the harbour. Starting to get a bit tired already. Took me awhile to get to the mermaid in the pissing rain. Really hungry as well. Saw the mermaid, and walked back to town through an old fort beside the water. I was planning on going back to Copenhagen central because thats where I could get to Slagelse. On my way there I saw a little sandwhich shop. I bought two HUGE sandwhichs with my Swedish Krones and waited for the bus to come. Once it came I asked the driver if he went to central. Luckily he spoke some english and that was one of his stops. Trouble was I was .5 of a Krone short with my change!!!!!!!!!! He wasnt gonna let me on either. Thats like 10 cents hahaha some nice dude on the bus gave me the .5 and I was on. Couldnt believe what a cock he was. He also said no food on the bus which I can understand,but I wrapped it up and it was all good.
Got to central and couldnt find Slagelse on any of the signs.None of the machines took my Visa cause i dont have a pin. I think im gonna run into some serious trouble with that. Found the information and bought my ticket with cash. Went to the correct Spor they call it and waited for my train. EVERYONE was smoking around me. UGH it was sick. Freaking addicts. Made my stomach ill. The train came and the board changed to a different name so I, like a bunch of others jumped on. It was a Double decker train, never seen one of those. Got on and sat across from an older lady by the window, I had my bag beside me, and there was a couple who I could tell wanted to sit by each other, so I moved my bag to make room and they were really happy. I had a bad feeling about this train for some reason, something wasnt right. I asked this IS the train to Slagelse right. The lady in front of me says yes it is, and the younger couple said No it isn^,t. Uh oh turns out more people than I made this mistake cause our train never came. This was the next traiin going to god knows where. HAHAHA shit we ran off me and 3 other women got to the exit and we started going. Oh no. They said dont worry we can transfer at the next station. Ha it was a good laugh. The lady wondered if I was Swedish because I said I took a bus from Stockholm. HA i just laughed and said do I really sound Swedish!!! She told me she hates the train cause this stuff always happens. Her car had just broken down and had to take it to get to work. She was on the phone wit grandma who had been taking care of them all day. We got to our stop and waited for the Slagelse train. It was the oldest crappiest train they had I think. Sreeeeeeeeeeeeching brakes it was terrible. So loud on the poor ears. I feel asleep fro awhile on the train dozzing off.
Got into Slaglese which was the last stop and saw Benny immediatly waiting out front in the pissing rain. Poor guy. He thought something happened to me because I was late. He drove to the bus depot and came back again and luckily I was here. It was really nice to see him. He drove us home in Svetlanas Audi. We stopped off at the bakery to get some cake that Svetlana wanted him to bring home. We got to Bennies place in Hyllestedvej just outside of Dalmose, and up his long gravel driveway he shares with 4 other houses. Svetlana told me I lost weight which was really nice of her. Although I gained most of it back already!!! Benny showed me all the renos he had done to the place since I had been there. Wow he had been busy. New upstairs where he was living now. New bathroom and a new boat he was building.
We had coffee and some Danish snacks. Cheese and jam and bread. Some interesting meats and spreads. I had a bit of a nap afterwards and the rain was just coming down. The top of the house was starting to flood from the gutters being plugged and Benny had to go out to rescue it. He pulled the leaves out and woosh. The driveway was underwater!!!
We had chilli for dinner which was not spicy at all because Benny cant have it like that for his guts.Saw Booster again after 9 years. He looked exactly the same but he was now like 13. Benny showed me the boat and told me about all the work he had been doing on it. He hadnt done anything to it in nearly a year now. I guess Svetlana keeps him busy!!
We were working tommorow at 7 am so they showed me my room. WHich was great huge spot with a deck and everything. Night night



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Grave Rock Grave Rock
Grave Rock

counting the dead


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb