Swedish Lapland, Abisko National Park


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Norrbotten County » Kiruna
July 18th 2016
Published: July 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

17th July Abisko NP
Yesterday we arrived in Sweden, in pouring rain. It was a pretty drive along the last part of the Lofoten Islands, fjords, lakes and mountains. The weather here was so bad we opted for a cabin, and very nice it is too. This is a big ski resort and somewhere to see the Northern Lights. We watched the increasingly heavy rain from the cabin window feeling very comfortable.
The forecast said that the rain would be gone by morning and it was. We could finally see the landscape rather than a blanket of white and ventured out to enjoyed a couple of long walks in this stunning environment. A huge lake below us, snow dappled mountains around and lots of small lakes, alpine flowers and bogs. Started with a walk up to a small lake, which the information told us was a great place to relax and watch reindeer. There was an icy wind and however hard we looked no reindeer. Then on and down to the railway track and to the turn of the last century navvy cemetery. Then back up and another hike up towards the mountain tops.
The sun finally broke through the clouds for the last hour brightening up this lovely landscape.

18th July Advisjaur

Today we drove a long way south. It was an essentially uninteresting journey past a lot of water and through many, many pine trees. The highlight was to see reindeer finally, of course wandering by the side of the road not up in the national park by a pretty lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb