Day 6: Day trippin' to Toledo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
September 13th 2015
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.8568, -4.02448

Today, we caught a train for the 25-minute ride to Toledo, Spain's historic former capital, its rocky perch surrounded on three sides by the Tajo River.

In Toledo, the main attraction is the cathedral, Santa Iglesia Catedral Primada de Toledo, but the entire city is a well-preserved cultural, historical, and spiritual jewel. The cathedral took over 250 years to build (1226-1495) and is the largest in Spain. It is full of oo's, and ah's, and wow's.

Since the cathedral didn't open for visitors until 2:00 PM (because of Sunday masses), we had some time to stroll the lovely lanes and alleys and hills of Toledo. We stopped at the Jesuit church, Church of San Ildefonso, and climbed the bell tower for a sweeping view of the cathedral, the city, and the hillsides surrounding it.

Our train back to Madrid wasn't until 6:30 PM, so we decided to make a late lunch into an early dinner. Craving freshly prepared food, vegetables, and salad, we tracked down a recommended vegetarian restaurant, Madre Tierra (Mother Earth), and snuck in just before closing. It was one of the best meals we had our entire time in Spain.

Made it back to Madrid and the Puerta del Sol was still jammed with thousands of people who had shown up to protest animal cruelty.

Found ourselves a nice little frozen yogurt place up a side street and went back to the hotel to pack (and watch the play-by-play call of the Bills game; no audio or TV stream over the Internet for this one, unfortunately) and get ready for tomorrow's train to Sevilla in the Andalucia region of southern Spain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb