Day 11: Oloron to Jaca (Spain)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
May 24th 2011
Published: May 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The brave two were up and out by 8.30 and they both agreed that they were slightly apprehensive about the day’s events to come. It was overcast and cool for the first 5 miles which were fairly level despite having a small climb. However the journey continued to climb and drop which was not well received as they were already anticipating the later climb. They then entered a narrow gorge from the wide plane that they were previously on, which then opened out a bit. They had a drink break after 15 miles, then the climbing began in earnest. The climb was steady but relentless, though the surface was smooth and quiet, there were a couple of photo stops on the way up. After about 30 miles the main road then went into a tunnel that went through to Spain, they turned left to the Col du Somport. The sky then cleared and the temperature was very good and the views were simply stunning. They had ¾ photo/drinks stops and eventually reached the Col at 1.30pm. After lunch they had their summit photos, deciding not to stop again by to press on to Jaca which was a further 10 miles downhill. After getting into the town they followed signs for the hotel. It was a very nice and pleasant town, the afternoon was very hot roughly 29/30 degrees.
Stats:
Miles: 52.4
Total Miles: 590.7
Ascent: 5067 ft
Total Ascent: 28’715 ft
Wallys in road waving in traffic: (1)
Wallys on loaded bikes that weren’t Dave and Jim: (2)
Countries entered: (1)
Countries left: (1)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb