Padron to Cadavo Baleira


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
June 21st 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 38


Tuesday 5th May




The morning didn’t start so well for Davin, Lauren and I... We were slightly ahead of Ben and so when the Camino took us around a building, we thought it would be hilarious to double back around to scare Ben as he walked past. So we waited there, crouched behind a wall, suppressing giggles and waiting patiently for Ben to walk into the trap. After a few minutes, and then another few minutes, Dav happened to look over to see Ben walking along the road in another direction. Turns out that all three of us had missed an arrow and were actually off course, and so we had to hurry our red faces along to catch up with Ben, who had taken the right turn and was trying to catch up with us... So in the end, the joke was on us...



We had a bit of a tough climb over the first couple of hours, and I had a pretty rough day overall. I am a bit over walking to be honest, and am very much looking forward to a day in the near future when I don’t need to worry about how many kilometres I am walking per hour, and how many more hours of walking I have ahead of me. But it is only about 130km to go so I have to keep reminding myself that we are on the home stretch...



From the peak it was back down, then back up. Just before we climbed again, we saw the cutest thing - a dog came rushing at us, barking and carrying on as we walked by. The next thing, a butterfly flew by and landed on a stick nearby, and the big mean dog just stopped in its tracks, completely mesmerised by the butterfly. It was hilarious and even the dog seemed to realise that this sort of behaviour didn’t exactly fit its mean-dog image, and so didn’t bark at us any more as we passed his front door.



The second ascent was also the work of the devil, being very steep and in amongst streams and mud - not much fun for Dav who was wearing sandals! We stopped at the second peak for lunch which was a welcome relief from the heat. From there it was fairly smooth sailing into town, with Lauren and I chatting away to pass the time.



The albergue was again quite nice, with us managing to grab our own room again - yay, no snorers! I was seriously buggered so after a lovely shower, Dav and I both had a few hours siesta to recharge the batteries. We aim to get up and away a lot earlier tomorrow as we have figured out that it is not so much the distance we walk, but the time we get into town, with the late arrivals just taking the wind out of our sails so to speak.



Dinner was once again tuna pasta - definitely the dish of the Camino for us. After dinner, the boys head off to the pub to watch footie, while Lauren and I hit the sack.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb