Castle-Hopping our Way to France and Day Dreaming of Home


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
November 24th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Because we had a lot of time walking the castle walls in Avila and because we are nearing the end of our trip we started a list of things we look forward to upon our return:

1. Steak Houses
2. Thai food
3. In-n-out
4. Understanding the menu
5. Coffee to go (and big coffees)
6. The complete season to date of Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Deadwood, Boston Legal, all 11 Patriots games, the Daily show from the week up to and including the recent election.
7. Movies in English
8. Girly gossipy magazines like People and US Weekly (I think we know who wants these)
9. Cold milk
10. Hot showers
11. Sugar substitute
12. Ketchup
13. A real martini, not premade and poured from a bottle
14. Watered-down American beer
15. Not paying 6 euros an hour for internet
16. Cell phones
17. The news
18. Working out and eating healthy
19. Dinner before 10PM
20. Finally having a home

Now back to the trip:

Back in Spain, we had decided to Castle-hop our way to France through an area in Spain known as Castille, or Castle. This is the area were many castles once stood to fight the infidels back to Africa and there are many abandoned castles along the roads.

Our first stop was a little town called Càceres which also is on the UNESCO list. Having liked so many of the little towns so far on that list, we decided it was as good of a guide as any for our way through spain. Càceres has a beautiful little medieval section of town, and that was where we stayed. Not much funny to report here, although we did manage to find a pub that sold Grimbergen, a belgium beer we discovered on the trip that is now Christinas favorite beer. Matt likes it a lot too, so needless to say, we spent a good chunk of time there since we hadnt had good beer since Poland.

Our next town was Avila, known for being one of the best preserved walled cities in Europe. Here we explored he city, climbed the town walls, and loved every minute of it.

Finally, our last stop was Briviesca, a small town outside Burgos. Cute little town, but we were only there briefly because we were making a beeline for France so we could spend Thanksgiving there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.517s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb