Quest for the Holy Grail


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
May 30th 2008
Published: October 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I was sad to leave Barcelona, but Valencia was calling. We jumped on the bus at 8am and the guide biffed on Mr and Mrs Smith, I realised that the last time I had seen it was in Suva, Fiji many moons ago. I think I may have had a nap or two before we neared our destination, I was awoken to find out some Valencia facts. They have on average 320 days of sunshine a year, which may explain why oranges are one of the areas main exports. Valencia is also the home of paella, hosts La Tomatina and has a truckload of churches.

Because we had booked our hostels the night before we left London I guess we couldn't expect too much. I say this because we were staying in a quaint hostel, run by an old man with a few rooms, ours clearly was for a couple as the single beds were pushed together and the shower door was see through-ish. We quickly pushed the beds apart and vouched to sit on the far side of the room when the other was in the shower. With that out of the way we set off to go check out the city.

We quickly found that there were churches just about on every corner. We made our way to the biggest, the Valencia Cathedral. We decided to do a tour as apparently it housed the Holy Grail! First though we learnt that a church can't become a cathedral until it has the body part of a saint. We realised this when we saw a dried up skanky arm of some old saint dude.

Right now some info about the Valencia Cathedral Holy Grail: Most Christian historians all over the world declare that all their evidence points to the Valencian chalice as the most likely candidate for being the authentic cup used at the Last Supper. It was the official papal chalice for many popes and was used most recently by Pope Benedict in 2006. All that chalice talk made us thirsty so after our tour we went to find a restaurant, after walking aimlessly for what must been longer than an hour we found an authentic looking place. We ordered paella, which came with snails and all, had a few brewskis and went back to our homo erotic room. I have to confess we pushed the beds together, but that was just to play cards, once that was done we moved them as far apart as possible.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb