Alinghi Wins 32nd Americas Cup


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Alinghi wins the 32nd Americas Cup 5-2!!!!
What a day!! What a race!!
Alinghi crossed the line with a mere 2 seconds to spare...a nail biter to say the least.
I cried!! the base was just charged with electricity and anticipation. For a few seconds we thought we'd lost it but New Zealand had to make a penalty turn before crossing the line - giving us the extra seconds to take it out.
The boys made their way down the harbour canal to the tune of the team song - Red Hot Chilli Peppers' - 'Can't Stop'
and the ringing of the Swiss Bells down a 'red carpet' of confetti to the Cup Podium for the presentation.
It was about 37 degrees in the sun with all the Alinghi kids running around with their flags and little bells joining in the celebration. Then it was back to base to formally welcome the boys back in victory. The party kicked off around 9pm - the theme 'Alinghi goes on holiday' complete with a beach load of sand, surfboards, and beach shacks serving all kinds of food and drink (Moet of course - damn it!! 😊 and everyone dancing to the DJ's mix with the 'Holy Grail - The Cup' perched in the middle of it all....
Upstairs - the private party for Alinghi and family only was the best of all with huge screens watching all the goings on downstairs and even more food and drink flowing....a wonderful night-again. We left around 1am (Brendan was flying to Geneva the next morning) but the girls partied till 4 and some were still going at 7!!! Needless to say, there wasn't an Alinghi member to be seen in the streets of Valencia the next day (hmmmm, I wonder why??).


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th July 2007

WOW
looks like it was quite some party, must have been a blast to be part of such an awesome event, well maybe you'll be there next time carlz and be able to enjoy the MOET! GO ALINGHI, AGAIN!
9th July 2007

America's Cup
Brendan...well I guess being a chef has its perks. Lucky 'B'....:-) But, what a great memory for you and your beautiful lady! I still can't get my head around the fact that a totally landlocked country can win this goddamn cup. Being a "Yank" by birth, I WAS real happy to see it go to the Aussies in '83. I do confess, though, that this time I wanted to see a sailing nation take back the 'Auld Mug', i.e. NZ. Damn! Thanks for the pics, and great to know you are all having a "Big Fat Time!" It's what's life is ALL about. The Best, Griffo aka "Sunglasses'.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb