Week 7 and 8 Torrevieja, Pilar de Horadada and Cartagena


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Alicante » Pilar De La Horadada
November 24th 2013
Published: November 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We visited the towns south of Alicante, Torrevieja, Pilar de Horadada and Cartagena.

Until 1802, Torrevieja existed only as an ancient guard tower, which gave the town its name (Torre Vieja (Spanish) means Old Tower) and some labourers' cottages. The town is known for its salt production.

Although by the dawn of the 20th century, a quarter of all the salt harvested from the lagoon in Torrevieja was sold in Spain itself, and the rest exported was to foreign markets. Today, it is still an important industry in Torrevieja and a major employer. There is a Museum of Sea and Salt. The population is approx 50% spanish approx 25 % other european.

We stayed one night at the harbour and walked the quiet streets in the evening, not much happening in mid november. The town looked like all the elderly in Europe was living here for the winter.

Pilar de la Horadada is a town and district in the Province of Alicante, in the southeast of Spain. Located 66 km south of Alicante, the city is the southernmost of the Valencian Community, only 1 km north of the regional border.

The town is the southernmost town of the Alicante provins.

In Pilar de Horadada there have been built two huge tourist villages between the main road and the sea. Both was almost completely empty, Mil Palmeras and Torredo del Horadada. The closed restaurants had signs, saying they were opening on 2 of april 2014.

We found the peace and and took the week as a holiday. On the 16 of november we woke up to +7 C, and a strong northern cold wind. We packed and headed north again to the protective mountains north of Alfaz del Pi, Albir and Benidorm. On the mountain tops we could see snow, in Madrid the same night the temperature was down to 0C. The temperature riced quicky to +23C and we could calm down. The cold wind we experienced in the south of Torrevieja, was diverted away by the high mountains and we continued enjoying warm weather.

However our plan is to go further south and we had a fantastic day and evening with good friends in Torrevieja. Actually we are getting better and better on 8 hours + lunches. Nothing can beat a good conversation with friend you havent seen for many years.

The week ended in Cartagena. We enjoyed a nice sightseeing with in the Roman theater Museum in Cartagena. In the harbour we met other Norwegians in their sailboat. A one year trip from Trondheim to the med and back. I guess they are going to extend their tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lo MonteLo Monte
Lo Monte

Evening view of the camp....
BenidormBenidorm
Benidorm

Playa Levante
TorreviejaTorrevieja
Torrevieja

A hug on the beach promenad
Torre de HoradadaTorre de Horadada
Torre de Horadada

empty streets....
Snow in novemberSnow in november
Snow in november

Costa Blanca
View 22/11/13View 22/11/13
View 22/11/13

A new view every day....


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb