Spain Day 17


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Region of Murcia » Cartagena
January 11th 2019
Published: January 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

As planned, left the van on the Aire today and got the bus into town. Unusual bus stop though - turns out you wait under a specific tree, and flag down the bus as it approaches. No signs, road markings, or timetables visible, and the bus doesn't even come up tp the kerb because of the cycle lane! Anyway, at 1€20 into town can't grumble.

The tourist office nearest the bus terminus only had one person on duty, who had a little English but told us the tourist bus and tourist boat weren't running. But yes, the town centre was THAT way.

Following the map the guy at the Aire had given us, we found our way towards the old town and discovered there was a lift to the (almost) top of the "citadel" hill. Breathtaking views across the city. Followed the zigzag paths and roads down the other side, towards the port, where we found a restaurant called Mare Nostra ("Our Sea," not mother!). Both had a delicious paella with lots of chicken and seafood, plus a couple of glasses of rosé each and a coffee, for 43€. Oh, there was bread and olives beforehand too.

Fully
Largest sailing boat ....Largest sailing boat ....Largest sailing boat ....

... in the world? Or was it in Europe?
replete, we strolled along the front of the port in the warm sunshine, and suddenly discovered that one of the "tourist boats" WAS running - a 3/4hr trip around the bay on a catamaran called "Olé!" For 6€ each, we bought our ticlets and had a really enjoyable "voyage" - a bit chillier once we were out on the water though, so we were glad of the extra layers.

Then began the search for a bus stop, to get back to base. This took us a while, as the map we had didn't actually show us the bus routes, and when we did find a bus stop (clearly marked as such this time), we had to wait nearly half an hour in rapidly-cooling afternoon air! Anyway, at least the bus dropped us off right at the gate of the Aire.

Bought a token for the laundrette and got some washing done, then settled down with an egg sandwich (made with the hard-boiled eggs we'd bought in Albir, thinking they were fresh ones!) and a glass or two of red.

Heading for some unpopulated coastal spots tomorrow, for a bit of wild camping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



11th January 2019

Eggs
Lol we did the same when in Spain a while back .bought what we thought were fresh eggs in an egg box like UK. Only to find they were hard boiled.

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb