Trekking the Picos de Europa


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Principality of Asturias
March 11th 2010
Published: March 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The mountain range of Picos de Europa with its pointed peaks served once as the first land mark of Europe for sailors crossing the Atlantic Ocean from America. Now this "Little Switzerland" serves in the first place hikers exploring its rugged summits, green plains, lush valleys, deep gorges and dashing lakes.

Lakes and Gorges

This national park has something for most nature lovers. Those who like easy walks along lake shores and wide plains accompanied with great mountain views enjoy the west massif in Asturias, most of all the Covadonga lake district.
One of the most famous Picos routes runs on the edge of Cares gorge, which separates the west massif from the central massif. The Cares river snakes its way deep in the abyss and a canal with swiftly flowing water lines the other side of the route between sheer rock walls.

Great summits

Tackling the peaks of the central massif, many of which rise above 2,500 meters, is challenging, but the route ascending to the foot of the Naranjo de Bulnes, the symbol of Picos de Europa is relatively easy for fit walkers. This hike, like many others in the central massif, offers seaviews over the coast lying at best only some 20 km from the Picos.
From Fuente De, located in Cantabria, start many walks penetrating the central massif. Thanks to the cable car, which lifts you up to 1,850 meters, the climb to some of the tops is not too heavy. If you do not mind climbing, you have a selection of absolutely gorgeus walks along the so called "canals" to the crests and summits.

Lush forests

Autumn is the best time to wander in the forests and valleys of the Picos de Europa. The colours are simply stunning and temperatures from October to November usually just right for walking. Flies are no longer a nuisance, but on sunny days you can still walk in short pants and sleeveless shirts.
Autumn tints glow brightest in the valleys of Liebana, located in Cantabria, and in Valdeon, located in León. Actually, for autumn walks, almost the entire Regional Park of Picos de Europa, an extension of the national park in the province of León is ideal. I find the Picos de Mampodre especially charming.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb