Dreams of Sangria...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Pamplona
July 9th 2006
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

7/7/06 10:08pm Newark, New Jersey Tarmac.

I’m sitting on the 767 right now finally flying to Madrid. It began as a comedy of errors, like most travel does these days. We got the airport in plenty of time to relax, go through security and we were both aghast that neither of us got searched. Then promptly found the Tequileria bar and proceeded to pound a few tall Dos Equis and tell everyone within shouting distance that these two gringos were headed to sure oblivion in Pamplona to run with the bulls! We even started singing that stupid cheer from the Mexican soccer/football games…ole ole, ole ole ole!!! It’s our mantra now and we hum it everywhere we go. A few large frosty beers later and we head to the gate only to be told that our plane decided to go to Jacksonville instead of Tampa but she was sure that the Madrid gringos would make their connecting flight in Newark. We went back to Tequileria singing louder than usual with just a hint of trepidation. A few more beers and a delicious chicken quesidia later, we get on the plane and I fall asleep before we even begin to taxi.

I woke up as my stomach felt like it was floating up into my throat, interesting feeling, not easy to sleep through though. Turbulence, but nothing bad, and nothing compared to the fear that struck me as we realized we would have maybe 20 minutes to get to the next gate which was from 70 to 138. We landed, we waited, we groaned loudly, Marcus yelled, and finally the seas parted and we were off and sprinting like we had the friggin bulls on our tail. We RAN! For about 5 minutes, then we each died and walked, plodded, to the gate and couldn’t talk but both trotted down the gateway smiling at cheating the airlines out of ruining our trip of a lifetime. We got comfortable, and waited. Ironically, we waited on the tarmac for 70 minutes! We could have qualified for track and field, we’re sweating and coughing, and in the end our plane takes off over an hour and a half late. Who cares, we’re 35,000 feet above the world right now, getting ready to order one of each from the liquor cart. I’m feeling bullish on flying right now.



Advertisement



11th July 2006

You jsut love to make a scene in airport bars, don't you? BellAAAAgiO!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb