Day 6, 29thSept 2014 : Puente la Reina to Estella


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Estella
September 30th 2014
Published: September 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Had breakfast at the hostel, bread and jam, juice and coffee and were out the by 7.30am. The first 3.5 kms were a very steep climb out of the village, up towards Maneru. The path was refreshingly good and the scent of spruce forests pervaded the air and made the walk more pleasant. After Maneru, Cirauqui was next in our sights and after a nice undulating walk, the village appeared ahead. It is a lovely medieval town with narrow streets that had us weaving our way through until we hit the open country and the old roman road ahead.

I would like to say strolling along the roman road and crossing the old roman bridge ( are there any new ones?) was a pleasant , almost romantic, step back in time, but that would be a lie. The peppery smell of fennel followed us out of Cirauqui for a kilometre or so and then we followed the roman road almost all the 5.7 kms to Lorca. It was very rough and I doubt it had had a road maintenance crew inspect it for around 1100 years. The villages came and went, the feet were very sore ( I don't know how Sue tolerated her feet) so when we made it into Estella, Tim did an accommodation search while we waited in a cafe. His Spanish language skills have come in very handy and he also strolled along with Germans and French people chatting freely. They were quite surprised he could talk to them and more so to find he was self taught. Who said burying your head in a book was a waste. Talented boys, my sons.

We stayed the night in a budget hotel, had a nice meal in the town square with Jurgen from Germany and Agnes from Hungry, two people we met earlier in the day. I also bought a pair of trekking sandals as my boots were causing me problems. We plan to be up early and have breakfast at the first village up the track. Well, adios for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



30th September 2014

Jealous!
Looks awesome mate! glad your enjoying the 'almost romantic' experiences :)
1st October 2014

Romance, smomance!
Feet aren't too good but we are powering along. Bus today though; Sue's feet need a break and Team Sherry sticks together!
1st October 2014

Feet
Sue couple days after you get home i will b around to giv u a pedicure with the works!! Keep marching on x
1st October 2014

If there's anything to work on
1st October 2014

Sues feet
We'll done sue keep going your feet have got a long time to heal when you get home maybe you should have taken electric soda with you dinny is fine I think he's missing bailey now .i want a photo of your feet Steve with socks and sandals good look!! Say hello to tim for us go hawks!!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb