Day 11, 4th October 2014, San Domingo to Belorado, 22.9 kms


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » La Rioja » Granon
October 4th 2014
Published: October 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today's stage was a pleasant 7.2 km walk to Granon along country paths through ploughed wheat fields. We had a coffee and caught up with Jan, the Dutch nomad who sleeps outside. He slept in the square last night and was woken by the police this morning; gently but no coffee. Our sleep last night was the worst we had. In a room of about 20 people the nocturnal noises can be overbearing. Combine that with bunks that screech like rusty gates even if you think about moving and you can form a picture.

We walked through 5 small villages today and, being a Saturday, we had a chance to see a little village life. As we left San Domenico there was a family preparing a seasons passata sauce and had a pretty good system going for the washing, cutting, cooking and bottling. The smell was amazing.

Sitting at a bar in Vilamayor, we prepared lunch with fresh bread and some cured sausage that Tim bought the night before. I could smell something cooking so I went for a wander to explore the possibilities. Around the corner there were about 10 men washing, roasting and peeling red capsicums. I wandered over and said in my best Spanish, " G'day !". I watched for a while, we somehow communicated a little, and I wandered away with the sweet scent of grilled capsicums in my senses.

This has been going on for generations in this part of the world and the senses of community and simple living is strong. Whereas we go to work to earn money to enjoy the finer things of life, these folk work to provide these things and have the satisfaction of doing it as well. Money isn't involved and I imagine the barter of different goods is strong.

As I'm writing the guy in the bunk opposite is snoring like a bull and it's only 4pm; could be an interesting night.

We are having the communal dinner tonight, 10 euros a head, 3 courses and drinks, and the company of fellow travellers. Elisha and her husband are here as are the group of Icelanders. I'm sure more familiar faces will appear.

I walked for a while today with Mitch, an American pilot who is on sick leave with MS. He was interested in Australian life and politics but had already formed an opinion of our PM, not too complimentary. He was amazed by the concept of long service leave and 17.5 pc leave loading. In the States these things don't exist. It's always interesting to find out how good we have it in Australia.

Well, I might go and have a shower and wander around the village. Buenos Dias!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Missed it by that much ( M. Smart)Missed it by that much ( M. Smart)
Missed it by that much ( M. Smart)

Sunflowers, just after blooming.


5th October 2014

Living the Life!
Have caught up on the trip so far. Sounds amazing. Keep safe!
8th October 2014

Builders foe caves
Where do they get the builders for these cave buildings? Not your average glazier I presume!
8th October 2014

Cave builders!
The place is a mass of rock so I guess you just need a jack hammer and an imagination. Visit Cooper Pedy, it's the same. Incredible really but practical; cool in summer and warm in winter. Have walked 270 kms now, Mary and my feet are broken in. Sue's are still just broken. We will look into other shoes at Leon, 3 days away. Cheers, Steve

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb