The Long Haul To O'Cebreiro.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia
October 17th 2016
Published: October 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today started well with a nice breakfast at our albergue before we started walking at 7.20. The rain gear was required for a couple of hours but, if the forecast on TV at Pereje could be believed, it would clear up; it did. We walked mainly on a paved path along a road this morning, but the loud sound of owls early, and then roosters, combined with the rippling brook running along most of our path made it a pleasant walk.

We continued through a few villages, occasionally stopping for a break, but the real aim was to arrive at Herrerías at a decent hour, in order to begin the 8km ascent to the top of the mountain ; O'Cebreiro.

It was probably the most challenging day since the Pyrenees and the rain had not helped. There were many long sections of deep mud that just had to be walked through; no clear path through was obvious. Sometimes it was slippery, other times rocky. I'm glad we walked up this as the last time it was by horse. It certainly is tougher using you're own hooves.

It was a 7hr day of solid walking and I was glad
to arrive. I ate fruit and drank water often as, at times, you wondered whether you had the energy to go on. At breakfast this morning I sat with some Koreans and the guy opposite said to me ,"You're amazing!". Now I'm not sure if he had heard of me in Australia or this was a Camino man crush, but he's probably right. Maybe I'm big in Korea!

This is the perfect segue into our hostel shower set up. No doors, no privacy! Who's idea was that? At the end of this day l would have showered outside if the water was hot. It's certainly not 5 star though. More footy club conditions. I'm not sure what the women have to deal with.

Well, until tomorrow , seeya !


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



For SaleFor Sale
For Sale

How could you part with it?





It's Begun!It's Begun!
It's Begun!

Santiago Tart; a love affair renewed


18th October 2016
O'Cebreiro

Bravo--you made it!
What a challenging walk, but so glad you made it! That tiny town of O'Cebreiro was one of my favorites--so out of another world. It was hung with mist when I was there, which made it even more mysterious. Welcome to Galicia--Buen Camino!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb