Camarinas


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Camariñas
July 12th 2013
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Blog Camarinas ‘Before the Coast of Death’

Camarinas ‘Coast of Death’ is written on the town sign definitely no ‘bienvenida’ (welcome). This is definitely not a touristy spot even though in one road the shops comprise of café, café, lace shop, café, lace shop, supermercado, lace shop, restaurant and lace shop, farmacia. There are no translations to signs or menus and the locals really don’t speak a word of English. Thankfully we have managed this time, my mixed salad did not have tuna all over it (cat food) and their chips are homemade and lovely. The marina is a bit rough and ready, the proprietor only expects people to stay one night and choked at the thought we were staying 2. You need a crowbar to get into the single toilet which is built for a size 6 to 8 and they turn the electricity off at 2300 and turn it back on at 0800! I think at some point the town was open to tourists, as you walk around it is full of shops and restaurants for sale and there are 3 supermarkets in the main road.

Lace Shops – There are so many lace shops and they are all guarded by at least one or maybe two life sized child dolls partaking in lace making in the middle of the pavement so you have to manoeuvre around them for your own safety.

Vegetarians, unless you eat fish or are prepared to live on potato filled omelettes with chips you probably will not like Spain, I think If I stayed in Spain much longer my skin would turn grey and as my step son suggested ‘probably die of constipation’! I say this in jest as I have been subjecting Andy to lots of fibre rich meals and forcing lovely fresh fruit down him to counteract the effect of all the tar and caffeine he ingests.

As per usual the water is full of mullet and other types of fish that seem to spend the day basking near the surface, no one seems to fish for them so they must have a very pleasant life.

Andy replaced 2 of the batteries on the boat which are huge, cumbersome and near impossible to fit or lift. When they were finally in place and we had both washed the acid off our hands and faces we found the + and – points were back to front as standard. This filled the evening with sparks, hammers, screams of frustration and me holding several torches aloft so Andy could see what he was hitting! Thank God it worked, Andy is covered in cuts and nicks, has acid washed shorts but we have full power and have also managed to legally dispose of the dead batteries.



Andy – We arrived at Camarinas to the welcome of the marina owner who makes Jack Dee look like the life and soul of the party! Other than that Camarinas is a small but friendly town for a short stay. We have been here long enough and are now heading to Portosin. The wind predictions are a bit dire until later but will improve around Cape Finisterre. New batteries were required as the older two that I had finally gave up retaining their charge, hopefully the generator can now have a rest. Our watermaker is working a treat, with no leaks, despite being installed by me ! I am sure that I will find something else that needs fixing before the day is out. The Photos attached are Sams choice of viewing !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb