A Visit to a Pueblo Called Allariz


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Allariz
December 3rd 2015
Published: December 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

AllarizAllarizAllariz

Strangers insist on modeling in my pictures!
A couple of weeks ago, some friends and I took a day trip to a nearby town called Allariz. The main reasons for going were: we heard it was nice, it’s pretty close, it’s accessible by bus from Ourense, and it was still beautiful weather that we wanted to make the most of.



This is mostly a photo post; I don’t have much to say. But to just get to the point and say it . . .



Allariz is about 40 minutes from Ourense by bus (Monbus), and it costs around 2.50EUR each way (you can buy tickets on the bus). There are also lots of buses every day, which makes it easier to wing it.



What struck me most about Allariz was what great shape the town is in. Even though a lot of the town was built in the Middle Ages (3-900? years ago), the stone doesn’t show a lot of wear. It also felt livelier (on a Sunday) than even Ourense, possibly due to its more “happening” tourism industry, or perhaps because there are only so many places for inhabitants to hang out. It’s another romantic-feeling town with small, pedestrian-filled streets that curve up hills. Another highlight for me was the river. Some sites along the river in town (parks, a small museum about leather, a cute restaurant and bridge nearby . . . ) are just really pretty.



After strolling through the town and having lunch, we started a walk to the O Rexo Ecospace nearby. An artist painted trees and rocks there, so it’s also like an outdoor art museum. It was as good a destination as any for a stroll. However, after walking along the river path about halfway, the path ended and we needed to continue along the road. We, being adventurers, thought there must be a way to cut through instead of following the longer road route. However, after some dead-ended paths, we decided we didn’t have time to get all the way to O Rexo and back, so we turned around and took the road back to Allariz without reaching O Rexo. I would recommend walking by road there, and on the way back (if you have time), cutting northwest along the other road after Valverde, crossing the stream via bridge, and walking along the river path. Even though we didn’t reach O Rexo, I enjoyed following the stream and passing some villages and farms—it was still a nice walk!



Overall, I definitely recommend Allariz if you’re in the area for more than a few days! There’s also a bull festival there in June called Festa do Boi that lots of people have recommended to me.



I’ll try to do another post soon more about adjusting to Galician culture!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

View of AllarizView of Allariz
View of Allariz

With traveling companions
A Natural FrameA Natural Frame
A Natural Frame

in Allariz
"Roman Bridge" in Allariz"Roman Bridge" in Allariz
"Roman Bridge" in Allariz

But it's from the 12th century . . .
Allariz Bull Festival StatuesAllariz Bull Festival Statues
Allariz Bull Festival Statues

Festa do Boi happens here ever June


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb