Spain - Land of history, sangria and of course - PORK!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
May 25th 2009
Published: May 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Metro performance 29 secs
2: Peacock - Pabo Royal 17 secs
We arrived in Spain at 1:00 local time (we were still on EST). So that day we walked around Madrid and went to the Prado Museum. The next day we spent in Toledo. Toledo is a small town outside of Madrid. It is a traditional walled city that is still lived in today. They had beautiful architecture and views. We were lucky to have the best tour guide ever - Eric’s cousin Jorge. He lives in Madrid and made our stay as affordable and fun as possible. Jorge saved us from the tourist traps of “guided tours” at 61 Euros each. For that 61 Euro - you got transportation and a guided walking tour of the city. We took the metro (subway) to the bus station and took a very comfortable bus for 9 Euro each. The metro is very easy to figure out but the buses are another story... To find the correct bus station that your destination departs from can be a challenge - What is said on the web may not be the actual location.

After returning from Toledo we walked around Madrid and went to bed. Falling a sleep was so hard for me... The time difference is a challenge....

Then the next morning we headed to Segovia. We also took the metro and the bus to get there. This is a medieval style town with a castle that may have inspired Walt Disney. It is also a traditional walled city and had beautiful views of the Spanish countryside surrounding it.

For the next few days we walked around Madrid and saw all the sites. We spent some time at the Real Palace and in the Royal Gardens. We were lucky enough to see the peacocks open their feathers for us. We also found that there is pork in almost everything - even ravoli!

We also went to see a Flamico dance performance at a cute place called Las Tablas that is near Plaza Espana... I tried to take photos but we couldn't use a flash and the place was very dark...

Each day we had a pastry and cafe con leche for breakfast, and Tapas for dinner. The best meal of the day - at least for Eric - was Menu Del Dia! That is a lunch special that goes until 4 pm and costs between 8-12 Euro. It includes two courses of food and a desert and a drink.

I took a lot of photos - which will not surprise to anyone who knows me - so I think the pictures tell the story of our trip. Feel free to ask me any questions!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 222, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SegoviaSegovia
Segovia

Roman aquiduct
SegoviaSegovia
Segovia

Cathedral
MadridMadrid
Madrid

This monument was a gift from Egypt
SegoviaSegovia
Segovia

This may be Walt Disney's Inspiration!
SegoviaSegovia
Segovia

Walt's castle close up
SegoviaSegovia
Segovia

narrow streets...
Royal Turkey - lolRoyal Turkey - lol
Royal Turkey - lol

Peacock in the gardens of the Real Madrid Palace


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb