Day 36 - Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
July 25th 2016
Published: July 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Last full day in Madrid. Another easy start but no breakfast. Get advice on which bus takes us to the old city and away we go. Bus in a few minutes then into the city. Wander around, do some souvenir shopping and see lots of new streets we haven't seen before. Interesting. today is a public holiday so we thought everything might be shut but not in this area. Stop at a cafe and have something to eat. Croissant with potato chips - not my choice with the chips, it is an added extra. Fresh OJ and coffee for Chris and we are ready to hit the streets.

We head towards the old market. A very impressive building with lots of food stalls inside - a little like the deli hall at the Vic market. Stop for a cold beer, and get one. Nice. Admire all the food but decide not to bother yet. Then we are off to the gardens which are meant to be a bit like Central Park in NYC. Not too sure about that but away we go. First stop is the train station where the bombs went off many years ago to see the memorial they have to the victims. As usual, siesta times get us again, shut till,later so we have a look through the windows and then to the park.

Impressive place, but the temperature is climbing faster than you need to know. Look for shade and find it most of the time in the park. Many interesting sights along the way as well..... Do the palaces that are now art galleries - strange exhibitions, but, hey someone likes them. Finally find a kiosk area with seats and umbrellas and get another very cold beer - and well deserved.

Off to the big lake and still hot so another stop to cool down. Maybe another cold beer. finLly out of the park and down to catch the bus back to the hotel. Slight wait but not too bad. Bus comes, I mis-judge the stop and we have a block and a bit to walk - oops. Never mind, get back to the hotel and have a nice lemon drink at reception to cool,down, then to the room for a mini siesta and shower.

Out to dinner, and the only restaurants are back down the road a bit. Bus again and we find a nice Italian restaurant with good aircon. Pasta is really good, and the red wine very nice. Decide to walk it off so walk back to the hotel wher we star to pack the bags once again ready for our flight to Paris tomorrow arvo. Next city coming up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.396s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb