Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
October 22nd 2014
Published: October 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today has been a relaxing day exploring Madrid. I was amazed at it's size and population of 3.5 million. The city is a thriving modern metropolis filled with 1000's of taxis, unbelievable number of tourist buses. It is recognized as the Cultural Capitol of Europe, which i was unaware of.

There are two city tours in open top buses; Roger and I paid 13 erous for 2 days of being able to get on & off wherever we want. After traveling around listening to the historical aspect of much of the city; we stopped at the World renowned Prada Art Museum. You cannot believe the extensive nature of the lainting filling the 100+ room, plus a new contemporary extension. The collection was gather by one of the kings in the early 1800's from the Royal collection. Many of these originals go back ibto the 14-1500's. To think they have survived throughout these years is again amazing. The statues also are exquisite in the craftsmenship involved.

Following this visit, we walked through the Botanical Gardens admiring the flowers and trees. Roger was delighted with the opportunity to photograph a number of scenes; he has an eye for making something that I think is plain look quite remarkable.

Dinner tonight was an occassion to go up market, and satisfy our inner hunger pangs, so we celebrated by going to MacDonalds - the conclusion delicious & satisfying. The night ended with a night ride around the city in the open air top tourist bus. The city at night looks totally different the lights fabulous, and because of late night shopping people everywhere. There are restaurants, cafes, eating places filled with people. The Spanish eat extremely late by our standards; most don't begin the evening until 9-10pm. That's to lats for me, and past my bedtime, so we try to eat early.

Until next time, enjoy your day, and be on your best behavior; you know who I'm talking too, otherwise you wouldn't be feeling guilty at my statement. :-), :-).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



23rd October 2014

About Madrid.
Hey Daryl, great photos of life in and around Madrid! Love the double decker bus! And love that you felt drawn to Macca's for a feast after all this time - sensational and yummo!! You try and behave, too! Talk to you soon. Love, Kev and Liz.
23rd October 2014

motor scooters/bikes
This place is filled with people on these vehicles going anywhere they want; you just have to be careful to step quickly out of their road; and I can still do that. Off to the theater tonight for show. Only have Jeans and a shirt to wear, hope we don't get kicked out. I will be in contact soon. Daryl

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb