IV: Unexpected Spanish Host Family (Madrid, day 5)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
April 21st 2010
Published: April 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

SDC13241SDC13241SDC13241

Presidential palace
Wednesday, April 21

I slept late again, letting my body recover from over two weeks of traveling. In the early afternoon, Cyntia and I met Payardo for breakfast at El Corta Ingles. Afterward, C. and I decided to stroll around Madrid again. We walked to the Plaza del Sol and saw the Cervantes monument again. Then we went through the Parque del Retiro again, and stopped to take a nap on one of the many lushly green lawns. After a coffee near the lake of the park, we continued on to see the Palace again as well as the Cathedral.

Often, Cyntia and I's gastronomical inspirations are at odds, so we found a kebab place for her and then a tapas place for me, where I had tortilla espanola and patatas bravas. YUM.

We decided to head back early, since it was our last night at Juana's, and we wanted to spend time with them. At the house, Juana made a small dinner of salad with tomatoes, boiled eggs, and tuna. We ate manchego cheese and fruit along side it. And then for dessert there was yogurt. I think this must be the secret to Spaniards being thin people: they eat rather fatty fare for lunch (with the only vegetable in sight being a potato), and tiny, watery tidbits for dinner! In any case, it was good, but I'm glad I wasn't actually hungry that night....

After dinner, we all watched "The Emperor's New Groove" together in Spanish. It was nice to do something together! However, before the end, both Juana and her daughter was fast asleep in their chairs. We were soon to follow suit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

SDC13235SDC13235
SDC13235

REAL HOT CHOCOLATE! Thank you Spain for doing it the right way! Melt chocolate and voila there you go!


Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb