A gorgeous day in Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
October 23rd 2009
Published: April 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We purchased 2 day transportation passes at the airport Metro station and then started the trek to our hotel. We took the 8 line to Mar de Cristal, transferred to the 4 line to Avenida de America, and finally took the 7 line to Parque de las Avenidas. Once off the subway, it was a quick 5 minute walk to the hotel. The sun was just starting to rise and we could tell it was going to be a great day.

It was a little too early to check in to our hotel, so we left our bags there and took a walk in the area to see what we could find. We walked back the hotel after about 20 minutes and had some coffee and croissants at the hotel bar. We were able to check in a little after 9am and went to our room to shower and change. Soon after, we went down and took the bus #53 in the direction of Sol.

There was a demonstration blocking the Calle de Alcala so the bus had to let us all out at the Banco de Espana stop. We walked up through the demonstration to Puerta del Sol. We grabbed a quick bite at a place called Pan's and Company. After lunch, we walked to the Plaza Mayor.

We continued our walk and went to the Mercado de San Miguel. Wow, what a culinary delight! I could have stayed there for a long time but we just had some treats and moved on. Our next stop was the Palacio Real or Royal Palace. We did tour the inside of it and it was amazing!

After our brush with royalty, we went back to the Sol Metro stop and took the subway to Retiro. We went into the Prado Museum and then to Retiro Park.

We rented a rowboat and cruised around the little lake near the Alfonso XII Monument. My wife and daughter stayed at Retiro Park while I went to the Hard Rock Cafe. I walked over to it by way of the Puerta de Alcala. It took about 45 minutes there and back. I met up with them at the Crystal Palace and we headed over to the Ibiza Metro stop in order to go back to the hotel. It was about 9pm and we were exhausted but hungry. We took the 9 line from Ibiza to Avenida de America and then line 7 to Parque de las Avenidas. From there we took bus 53 two stops to our hotel. We ate at a little restaurant next door to our hotel. Not bad but nothing special. Went back to the room after dinner and immediately went to sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb