Montgarri - Place of Refuge


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Vielha
July 3rd 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.7017, 0.795638

This morning we enjoyed a hearty breakfast at our Hotel before heading out on our walk. With some of the National Parks around Vielha being closed due to recent flooding, we took advice from the local Tourist Information Office and decided to do the Montgarri Refuge Walk.

The Montgarri Refuge Walk is around 12 kilometres in length, and winds through the Northeast border of the Valley of Aran.

We set off from the Plan de Beret, which is a well developed ski field. We encountered numerous herds of cows, horses, sheep and goats on our walk. We didn't see any wolves or bears though, which are known to frequent this area. The walk runs adjacent to the Noguera Pallaresa River.

At the half way point on our walk we encountered the Montgarri Refuge. Thousands of Jews and Airmen shot down during World War II were escorted through the Pyrenees Mountains by French and Spanish Freedom Fighters opposed to the Nazi Regime. Many of these refugees and airmen fleeing the Nazis finally knew they were safe in Spain when they stopped off to rest at the Montgarri Refuge.

Nancy Wake (The White Mouse) tells of spending three days having to cross the Pyrenees Mountains with mountain guides to escape the Gestapo,

Originally the Montgarri Refuge was built in 1117, although what one sees today is totally restored.

The forecasted inclement weather fortunately didn't eventuate, although it was getting cold and low cloud was coming in by the time we arrived back at our car.

A great day spent walking the Aran Valley looking up at mountain peaks capped with snow. The wildflowers were out everywhere in every colour.

Off to Barcelona tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb