My first encounter with Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » La Pineda
June 7th 2013
Published: July 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Meeting Spain

Go to Catalonia, if you want to get acquainted with Europeanized Spain. Visit Valencia for meeting a more authentic and traditional Spain. Travel to Spain for tasting the unique country in the Western Europe!

Gladiators fight amphitheater in TarragonaGladiators fight amphitheater in TarragonaGladiators fight amphitheater in Tarragona

Located at the edge of the Mediterranean sea, this architectural heritage of the Rome epoch seems magnificent. Just imagine - a long time ago, gladiators fought for dear life and an emperor himself came to see gladiatorial games. These games united the poor and the rich. As Julius Caesar said, “Give them bread and circuses.”
In 2013, I had a fortune to visit Spain - the country of my student dreams. The fact is that I learned Spanish language, literature and culture at the university, so I felt in love with Spain during my student life. For this reason, a travel to Spain was a kind of obsession to me. After family trips to Siberia and Montenegro & Croatia, my parents and I decided to continue this wonderful tradition - to travel together. We chose a week (07-14, June), and organized a travel to Spain.

With a direct flight from Kiev to Barcelona, we arrived to Spain. We lived in a hotel located in La Piñeda small littoral town at the Costa Dorada. We wanted to get acquainted with Spain by visiting different places, so we ordered several excursions. We hoped to get various impressions about this multifaceted country. My parents and I managed to visit some sights in Catalonia region - Tarragona city, Montserrat mountains, and surely Barcelona; moreover, we also traveled to Valencia, the capital of Valencia region that shares borders with Catalonia.

By the way, I wanted to practice my Spanish with native speakers, but it turned to be challenging. The
Walking by the main street in Tarragona cityWalking by the main street in Tarragona cityWalking by the main street in Tarragona city

This modern sculpture dedicated to the interesting Spanish (mostly Catalan) tradition called Castell - a pyramid of people. Being organized every year, Castells are extremely popular nowadays. The sculpture consists of the active castell members and musicians that divert both participants and observers.
Catalans have their own language, so I did not understand them very well, since their Catalan is a kind of a blend of French and Castilian Spanish (the traditional language of Spain that I learned at the university). I noticed one interesting thing: they indeed understand Castilian, but they intentionally do not want to speak with you using this language. Also, not all Catalans know English. Yes, they are nationalists=) In other words, be ready to hear Catalan everywhere in Catalonia. Nevertheless, the staff in Barcelona Airport and the Valencian people were glad to speak in Castilian with me, so I indeed had a wonderful opportunity to use my Spanish language skills in real-life practice.

Catalonia seemed a cultural and business center of Spain to me. It is an extremely Europeanized region, since the authentic Spain is harmoniously blended with Western European atmosphere. The sounds of the unknown Catalan language, a high number of Catalan flags hanged on the balconies of residential houses, and many patriotically-minded young people provided the impressions of a separate country that stands out from the rest part of Spain. At the same time, Catalonia could tell me the true story of monarchical Spain with
A bloomy cactus in TarragonaA bloomy cactus in TarragonaA bloomy cactus in Tarragona

Tarragona seemed a small piece of paradise on earth.
its attractive culture, many-centuries history and modern democracy. Valencia opened another side of the country associated with a brighter Spanish authenticity mixed with a culture-scientific trend.

On the whole, Catalonia and Valencia provided positive impressions about Spain. This travel made me believe that Spain is indeed a diverse country that respects its culture, is proud of its history, and cares about its citizens. With their old quarters, modernist architecture, and interesting traditions, Catalonia and Valencia remain the essential part of Spain with the European standards implemented at all levels.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Live statuesLive statues
Live statues

I had always admired people engaged in the art of being live statues, so when I saw a couple of them in Catalonia, I could not but took some photos of them.
Swimming in the Mediterranean sea in La PinedaSwimming in the Mediterranean sea in La Pineda
Swimming in the Mediterranean sea in La Pineda

La Pineda is a small tourist town located in Costa Dorada. There are beautiful stone pines at the background.
In a wok restaurantIn a wok restaurant
In a wok restaurant

There are numerous wonderful restaurants in Catalonia, and a traditional wok restaurant is one of them. You may choose any meat, fish or marine product you want them to cook for you, and then you enjoy delicious food. For example, I ate crabs as much I could hold - they were indeed breathtaking.
TarragonaTarragona
Tarragona

We arrived to an old Spanish city in Catalonia region.
SundialSundial
Sundial

This antique clock is extremely precise even nowadays.
Walking in Tarragona Walking in Tarragona
Walking in Tarragona

Walking down the main street of the city, I saw how bread was being baked in the homemade oven.
An attractive building in TarragonaAn attractive building in Tarragona
An attractive building in Tarragona

It is worthy of note that a sidewall of this dwelling house is fully drawn.
TarragonaTarragona
Tarragona

Observing the main cathedral of the city.
AgaveAgave
Agave

When I saw live agave, I understood that it is one of my favorite plants in the whole world. There are a lot of agaves growing in Catalonia and in Spain in general.
Benedictine abbey Benedictine abbey
Benedictine abbey

This abbey is located on the mountain of Montserrat in Catalonia.
Near Benedictine abbeyNear Benedictine abbey
Near Benedictine abbey

The monks living in Santa Maria de Montserrat usually hide themselves out from curious tourists that arrive to shatter their calm every year.
Santa Maria de MontserratSanta Maria de Montserrat
Santa Maria de Montserrat

This Benedictine abbey has interesting energetics. Located in the picturesque mountainous landscape, this monastery is associated with harmony and a sense of unity with nature/God/oneself.
Inside the basilicaInside the basilica
Inside the basilica

Montserrat monastery looks noble and sublime like other Сatholic buildings.
Abbey of MontserratAbbey of Montserrat
Abbey of Montserrat

Mountain сlimate and religious atmosphere of this place give power and motivate for deeds of valour.
Park GüellPark Güell
Park Güell

Walking in the park designed by the famous Spanish architecture, Antoni Gaudí.
In the Park GüellIn the Park Güell
In the Park Güell

All buildings of the park reflect natural forms - you won't see classic straight lines there.
Famous buildings in the Park GüellFamous buildings in the Park Güell
Famous buildings in the Park Güell

A fairytale gingerbread house style indeed attracts and delights tourists and local people.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb