Gaudi's Legacy to Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 7th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.3879, 2.16992

This morning we headed for Park Guell, created by Antoni Gaudi.

Gaudi was born in Reus in 1852 in the Catalonia region of Spain and died in 1926 after he was hit by a tram. Due to the "beggar clothes" he was wearing at the time, he received only cursory treatment in the hospital, and when he was finally recognised on the second day in hospital, his condition had become critical and he unfortunately died.

Much of Gaudí's work was marked by his big passions in life: architecture, nature, religion. Gaudí qualified as an architect, and his works reflect his highly individual and distinctive style. His works are largely concentrated in Barcelona, notably the Sagrada Familia.

Park Guell is free and open to the public, and is full of Gaudi's architectural creations. After spending the morning at the park, we then headed to Gaudi's former apartment building, Casa Mila, which he created in his distinct architectural style.

After viewing Casa Mila we caught the train to Barceloneta, which is near the beachfront in Barcelona. Barcelona fronts the Mediterranean Sea, and after a hot day walking around Barcelona, it was great to catch a sea breeze and see the beach.again.

We then returned to our favourite seafood restaurant on Barcelona harbour and enjoyed a great dinner.

Tomorrow we leave Barcelona, and head back to France. This time we are heading for Sete, which is on the south-east Mediterranean coast of France for a one night stopover, to enable Chloe to see an exchange student who stayed with them last year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb