Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 4th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.3879, 2.16992

We left Vielha this morning headed for Barcelona. We drove through the Vielha Tunnel, some 5.5 kilometres in length and at one time, the world's longest and most dangerous road tunnel. As soon as we crossed underneath the Pyrenees Mountains, the landscape became drier.

It took around four and a half hours to drive south east to Barcelona, arriving in the centre of the city at around 3-00pm. Our unit is located one block away from Gaudi's famous Cathedral, Sagrada Familia. From our fifth floor unit bedroom window we have a great view of the cathedral.

Barcelona was founded as a Roman city. After merging with the Kingdom of Aragon, Barcelona continued to be an important city within Aragon. Besieged several times during its history, Barcelona has a rich cultural heritage and is today an important cultural centre and a major tourist destination.

After settling in to the unit, we headed for the El Barri Gotic area of the city, to taste some Barcelona cuisine. After walking around exploring the streets and alleys which were full of people, we settled on a restaurant in an alleyway which had a waiter who thought he was a reincarnation of Salvadore Dali, with his curly moustache.

In Spain, the people eat dinner after 8-30pm at night, even up to midnight. We arrived home around midnight after catching the Barcelona Underground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb