Day 22-23 - Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 18th 2016
Published: May 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Couldn't blog last night as I was too sick, I had been feeling sick during the day and though I'd have a nice warm bath at the end of the day. But instead it made me feel really dizzy, dehydrated and nauseated so I went to sleep instead. We arrived in Barcelona yesterday! We got off the plane and went to the baggage claim area. We got our bags but I found out mine had lost a wheel, and it was one of the essential wheels at the front as well so I couldn't take it on uneven surfaces. I was pretty gutted as it's a pretty sturdy bag, but it's a Samsonite one so should be able to get it fixed for free when I get back home (too tricky to get it repaired while you're travelling). Anyway we caught a bus to the city centre and then caught a cab to our hotel. We went for a walk at night and went to our first Spanish restaurant. For our first Spanish food we thought we were getting nice spicy potato fries with thick home made sauce, but instead we got a bag of chips and some thin tasteless sauce (mistake number 1) we couldn't help but laugh at our first food experience, luckily that was only our entree and the mojito we had made it up for it. For our main course we ordered two paellas (mistake number 2), they were far too big for us and it's the first time I've seen blair be beaten by food. They were beautiful, but we spent a lot on the paellas so we're gutted we couldn't finish them. After dinner we just went back to the hotel and fell asleep.

Today we had a sleep in and then went to see the Sagrada Familia, which is a Basilica that was started by Gaudi, and is still being finished today. It is the most strangest building I've ever seen, and you can't stop looking at it! The outside looks like a melted candle, with fruit sculptures on the tops of the points, and sculptures of people intwined in the walls. When you go inside the colours from the glass windows shine through the cathedral, it is very different from the outside, it has many white pillars and the detail is very different, I've never seen anything like it in my life! It's like stepping into a different world, it's a bit cartoon like and feels like it's something from Dr Suess, he must have had an incredible imagination to design something like this! It's the biggest piece of art I've ever seen! After that we walked back to our hotel, did boring stuff like sort out our washing and planning, but later tonight we are going to have dinner on the beach side again and then going to go to a Flamenco Show (Spanish dancing show). Will let you know how that goes tomorrow. Addios!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb