Barcelona, Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 7th 2015
Published: May 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After a 14 day cruise originating in Sao Paulo, Brazil, we disembarked at our final destination port. Barcelona, Spain. Here we were met by our extended family, Jeff & Traci Skinner who had flown down from Norway. The next 3 days were spent touring the historic Spanish city. Our first evening we attended an authentic Flamenco dinner and dance show. Without a doubt these dances are true poetry in motion and as was explained to us are never truly choreographed and allow the dancers to express themselves creatively.

For me, the highlight of the stay in Barcelona was the 1.5 hour SEGWAY tour given to us as our 2014 Christmas gift by the Skinners. All 6 of us mounted up on the SEGWAYS. It was a first time experience for myself, Barb, and Larry. Within a few minutes, we SEGWAY virgins had mastered how not to fall over and the tour began! These machines are remarkably easy to run and all of us had a great time touring the harbor area of Barcelona, including a run along one of the nude beaches. It was utterly amazing that none of us crashed while "sight seeing", or bird watching as Jeff called it. Sadly for the guys, there were more pointers than setters on the beach that day, but I'm sure the ladies enjoyed the scenery!

Our next day was spent at the Unseco World Heritage site, the Sagrada Familia. Initially I was thinking "oh great, yet another church" but when we approached it and truly experienced the unique architecture, not to mention the stunning interior, I decided it was worth the effort. Not sure if I still felt the same way after ascending 300+ narrow stairs down one of the impressive towers . Started in 1882, and still unfinished I may add, this monument to Christianity was the vision of Antoni Gaudi, a remarkable architect whose works span across the city of Barcelona. I find it hard to truly express what I saw, both inside and out, so I let the photos and your future research finish the story.

Our next destination will be the Coasta Blanco area where we'll take a 5 hour train ride along the coast to Alicante.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb