Last Day in Barcelona (And Spain)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
August 5th 2013
Published: August 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Casa Mila Casa Mila Casa Mila

A Classic Gaudi. He didn't like straight lines, really because there are so few in nature.
Today was an architecture day. I spent it basically wandering between the major Antoni Gaudi sights in town, beginning with the building I can literally see from my hotel window, the Casa Mila. Gaudi, I've always thought, built naturally, literally. People make a lot of to do about what everything means, but really, it seems to me that he simply re-created nature in his buildings. I think it's an interesting commentary perhaps on modern conditions that people are so shocked by this. It goes to show you that the way we live is oddly out of tune with the natural world, so when we see a Gaudi building full of trees and leaves and even bones we're taken aback, admiring his work mainly because it just doesn't fit, like forcing a peg in a square hole.

And really, that's what you see in most Gaudi buildings. They sway and move with a life their own, with waves and giant columns like trees. His masterpiece, undoubtedly, is the Sagrada Familia, his massive church that is slowly and painstakingly getting down. Gaudi died nearly 100 years ago, and his church is still being built, with architects loosely following his original sketches. This
Casa Mila RoofCasa Mila RoofCasa Mila Roof

Most famous part. Full of crazy chimneys.
place is a modern Medieval cathedral, built over generations and centuries. It was my wow moment today, walking in, and simply looking up. Sounds corny, but the place literally takes your breath away. Just so massive and beautiful. Almost hard to believe that people actually built the place. And, while people insist it must be finished, I personally think its true beauty is when it's not quite down. Isn't that the whole point of worship, to feel humble before God? What better way to express this, than by leaving it incomplete, showing that the works of man can in no one compete with the works of God? Gaudi might've wanted it left incomplete.

Finished the day with a bit of a hike up to Parc Guell as well, which is the park Gaudi was planning on building for a housing protect just outside of town. It never was finished, but has great views over town, and classic Gaudi constructions, such as his snake-like seats.

Tomorrow I briefly stop right before the French border in Figueres to see the Dali Museum, and then head up to France, stopping in Carcassonne. I honestly can't wait. I've spent a lot of
My Laundry!My Laundry!My Laundry!

From Casa Mila roof. The room with the three shirts on the railing. I had to do a wash.
time in France - in an odd way it seems very familiar and home-like. I can speak the language! Looking forward to it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Another ChimneyAnother Chimney
Another Chimney

This one looks like a face from my hotel room.
Through a GapThrough a Gap
Through a Gap

Very creative, the path on the roof really pulls you in, and you go through the chimneys at times. Hearth-like.
Made for Gathering AroundMade for Gathering Around
Made for Gathering Around

You really want to spend time up here. Gathering around the warm fires.
The Attic at MilaThe Attic at Mila
The Attic at Mila

Classic Gaudi arches. I think they suggest a spine, the greatest support system of all.
Casa BatlloCasa Batllo
Casa Batllo

Another classic Gaudi, just down the street.
Batllo Close-UpBatllo Close-Up
Batllo Close-Up

I think the top looks like a dragon's back - St. George is Barcelona's patron saint. And that other thing looks like an ice cream cone.
Sagrada Familia Sagrada Familia
Sagrada Familia

Gaudi's church, still under construction. When it's done, this will be a side entrance (now where you go in).
Passion FacadePassion Facade
Passion Facade

Above entrance door. Extremely modern and not by Gaudi. I like it. Severe.
Jaw-Dropping EntranceJaw-Dropping Entrance
Jaw-Dropping Entrance

Stunned when I first went in. Just goes up and up. And those columns are like trees with branches. A beautiful place.
Up and UpUp and Up
Up and Up

And the church still needs to put in the massive Christ Spire, which I think will be the highest in the world.
Another ShotAnother Shot
Another Shot

Pope Benedict officially consecrated the church only 2 or so years ago.
Glory FacadeGlory Facade
Glory Facade

Really the only part Gaudi finished. Looks like a melted cake. Shows the Holy Family (Sagrada Familia).
Glory Close-Up Glory Close-Up
Glory Close-Up

I like the angels blowing their horns. A nice touch.
Parc Guell EntranceParc Guell Entrance
Parc Guell Entrance

Was to be the grand entrance to Gaudi's planned community.
Looks Like a WaveLooks Like a Wave
Looks Like a Wave

In Parc Guell, up the stairs.
Snake SeatsSnake Seats
Snake Seats

Classic Gaudi, and classic view over Barcelona.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb