Correfoc - you must be Barca-ing mad - La Merce me


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
September 23rd 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Correfoc sparks actionCorrefoc sparks actionCorrefoc sparks action

this might give you a slight impression of the action
I did not mention yet that the problem with hotels (as in getting one) was La Merce annual festival, the biggest thing in Barcerlona. The actual fest was on Monday 24 Sept but the weekend before Sat-Sun was full of events and free concerts - and some free museums (more on that later).

The maddest one seemed to be the Correfoc - to quote the info:

.... The correfoc (literally, “fire run”) was an invention that dates back to the restoration of democracy; nevertheless, it brings together the traditional ingredients of Catalan culture and the absolute essence of Mediterranean festivities. This procession kicks off when fire-spitting beasts and devils pour out from the Gates of Hell, bathing the streets in fire ....

Honestly this is one of the maddest events I have ever seen in terms of "safety". The programme does indeed warn about long sleeves, no flammable clothes etc, hats and eye protection - and an appropriate distance is a matter for your own judgement - indeed! It being night time I had taken my sunglasses out of bag - might have used them as eye protection. As it was I had to use the camera to my eye as a substitute against the showering sparks. It was actually very difficult to photograph so out of 70 odd shots I might have 4-5 usable. Basically the beasts and dragons travel along the streets breathing fire and sparks with their assistants reloading them (with huge bunger/fire sparklers) when they run out. And we are not talking baby sparklers here - these are industrial strength!

The thing to do for the young and reckless was to actually run under the cover of the guy spinning the fireworks around on a stick over his head - that way the sparks shower away from and past you, until the stick runs out of course. I had managed to find a not too crowded spot - but after 15 mins of that insanity think I had "seen" it.

Hopefully the snaps will give you some idea of what you missed. So that took care of Sunday night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Correfoc dragon at restCorrefoc dragon at rest
Correfoc dragon at rest

wit!h female "rider"
Carrefoc firemenCarrefoc firemen
Carrefoc firemen

in their Little Lucifer outfits


27th September 2012

Flame throwers!
Hi Mike, Loved your thoughts on "industrial strength, on fireworks, he he. Man that is one crazy festival, love all the photo's, you felt right there, ouch! Wonder if the local hospital had more visitors that night? Thanks for the Madrid postcard, lovely shot. Love Huddo and girls.
1st October 2012

And we banned Guy Fawkes
Wow! What a wild whizzymagoo! I have heard of a similar dangerous rocket event in Taiwan when moving a local god from his temple to visit the village. Keep up the great anthropoligical studies. John

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb