8th January


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
January 8th 2010
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hola!! Bueno tardes everyone!

We thought today would be a bit of a slow day and ended up talking John into going on the underground Metro - JOhn was reticent but he grudgingly agreed to do it - anything to make me quiet.... I guess.

So we checked out a few things we could go and see and which Metro line to take and those stupid details - would rather just get on one and see where it takes us and have a look around.... John just doesn't have quite the same quirky sense of adventure but anyway we went to the Metro - bought our daily ticket each via the electronic machines there and on we went - it was quite easy and pleasant and so warm down in the underground - with the weather the way it is we perhaps should've stayed down there.

Anyway we got off and visited a really nice place called Museu d'Art Comtemporani & Centre de Cultura. Built in 1995 this building is in contrast with its neighbours but has it's original and magnificent facade. It includes many features such interior corridors, visiting Artist's space, revolving permanent collection, original facade, A Sudden Awakening - a permanent display of Antoni Tapies' deconstructed bed with its bedding flung across the wall in disarray - displayed to the right of the main entrance signifies the importance of Tapies as a key player in the world of Catalian modern art; Thinking and Reading places, El Patio de les Donnes - courtyard which has a modern prismatic screen providing a mirror reflecting 18th century patio - a magical juxtaposition of different architectural styles; Temporary exhibitions and Placa Joan Coromines - This square is one of the most enchanting squares in the city and is home to many terrace restaurants and shows the contrast between the modern MACBA and the 18th century mock Romanesque church and the new University building and the Tuscan style CCCB. Thank God for this information booklet!!

It was a really great and interesting building and covered a huge tract of land and had several lots of elevators reaching up to the front courtyard of the building. We had lunch in a little cafeteria and while wandering around while John took photos I discovered the restaurant on a higher level which had the most magnificent views of all Barcelona - damn wish we'd found it before lunch but decided to stay there and have cheese and wine anyway. Funny about Europeans - every time we ask for cheese platters - there is just cheese and nothing else - where are the dry bikkies and a knife to cut the cheese???? How are we expected to eat it? Any answers here?

From there we walked all the way to the Olympic Stadium.... well about 200 metres away where the 2010 European Athletics Championships are being held - quite strange being in a place that we all watched the 1992 Olympics take place. The stadium is in the process of being refurbished and there are many stalls and shops around that still sell the Olympic memorabilia.

From here we went back to the Metro - but were stopped by a couple who asked where something was..... not sure what language they spoke and hope we gave them the right directions to wherever it was they wanted to go to..... and decided to go somewhere different this time on the Metro but ended up at the Marina and chose to head back to Catalunya and do a spot of shopping.... so back we went and found a couple of things we had been looking for and then headed home. Pleased to say that it didn't snow today but chances are that it might over the next few days - the man at reception told us it was going to be 5 degrees colder tomorrow.... and down to -2 on Sunday..... thank God for central heating!!!

Happy Birthday to my nephew Ben today!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb