The Rain In Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
October 15th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sagrada FamiliaSagrada FamiliaSagrada Familia

The very famous Gaudi designed Church.
It was actually raining when we arrived from Spain which was really strange as we thought we were going to cook.

We arrived in Barcelona with about 12 days to see as much as we could before we flew out to Egypt. We decided to spend a few days in Barcelona where we shopped and shopped because it was so fantastic and sampled the local fare including Paella and Sangria.

We then took yet another 8 hour trip north to San Sebastian in the Basque region. Whilst in San Sebastian we ran into a million other aussie backpackers who seem all to be traveling in the north of Spain. We got to sample the famous tapas bars which were fantastic, eat expensive ice cream, get strange looks from the locals and go on a cider house tour. The local brew is an apple cider which is definitely an acquired taste. The tour entailed sampling some local fare including lots of seafood dishes and filling up your pint glass from a 50,000 litre barrel. Of course the whole group (mostly aussie) got completely plastered and then moved onto the local A list nightclub where a glass of vodka and lemonade cost 10 euros!

After San Sebastian we hopped the border to Bordeaux in France. Our first impressions of France were so cliché it wasn't funny. We saw a man wearing a beret on a bike with a basket with a baguette. They take their bread very seriously in France. They base their whole economy around it and the price of bread was often listed in shop windows. Chris and I absolutely loved Bordeaux. The architecture was amazing, not to mention the local wines and cheese. Our brie and bread diet kept us content for a few days. We did manage an afternoon of wine tasting north of Bordeaux which was absolutely delightful. But Egypt was calling us and we had to catch a train back to Bordeaux to catch a flight.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Chris at Barcelona's Home GroundChris at Barcelona's Home Ground
Chris at Barcelona's Home Ground

We went and watched a match between Barcelona and Madrid. The stadium was jam packed (100,000) for a wednesday night game!
Vineyards in BordeauxVineyards in Bordeaux
Vineyards in Bordeaux

This is exactly how I pictured the south of France. It was such a shame we didn't get time to go to see any more of France.
Fountain in the main square of BordeauxFountain in the main square of Bordeaux
Fountain in the main square of Bordeaux

This area has just been heritage listed


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb