Beautiful Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
April 9th 2019
Published: April 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 7th April.

We arrived in Barcelona on Sunday in the early afternoon. We were quickly through the airport formalities and on board our coach. On the way to the hotel, the coach took us on a quick tour of the western side of Barcelona, helping us get some idea of the city's layout, and briefly seeing some highlights from the coach windows, such as the Olympic stadium, the magnificent Museum of Art, and the waterfront.

After checking in, we were quickly off on the metro to visit the extraordinary Sagrada Familia. Beyond description, it has to be seen to be believed. Having taken many decades so far, they are now really putting efforts in to finish it by 2026. The funds raised from the enormous number of tourists is now funding the work. I will not hesitate to come back to Barcelona if I can, when this masterpiece is finished. We had a guided tour of the exterior (in light rain) and the interior. Check it out on the internet to see more.

After that I had an early night, Being exhausted and not going to dinner with the group as I was still suffering the after effects of gluten poisoning in Sydney just before I left.



Monday 8th

Today we had a full day with a guide seeing some of the major sights in Barcelona. We started out on foot, seeing some of Gaudi’s architectural façades – Casa Milà and Casa Batlló. Casa Batlló was hidden behind scaffold, as they are restoring the façade. Our guide took us into a large nearby hobby shop and up to the second floor. Here there was a large outdoor area which backs on to Casa Batlló, so we were able to see the rear façade and courtyard. We walked some of the main boulevards and saw the characteristic architecture of the city. Baron Hausmann, who transformed Paris in the 19th century, was also responsible for the streetscapes of Barcelona, so it has a resemblance to Paris, though with a Spanish flavour to the apartment façades.

We then went via metro and bus to Parc Güell, a garden estate with a lot of Gaudi designed features, including arcades, galleries, buildings and a large open space offering fantastic views over the city. The weather was excellent – sunny but cool, so walking was a pleasure all day.

After some time spent at Parc Güell, we returned to the city and had lunch in the old quarter, saw the cathedral (built in the 14th century, if memory serves), plazas, and many grand buildings. We toured the inside of the cathedral, and were also able to go up and out onto the roof, which offered fantastic views of the city. We walked back to the hotel due to a metro strike, and later walked quite a distance to dinner at a restaurant, and back. Well over 10 kilometres of walking for the day, which tired us out



Tuesday 9th

This was a ‘do your own thing’ day. I decided I would really like to see the fountains, steps and vista of the XXXX, the Art Gallery precinct, and the Olympic area. I headed off to the metro, only to find the station was closed for construction, so had to walk about a kilometre to the next station! I had stopped to rest on a bench and was interviewed by a group of primary school kids doing a school project to practise their English by surveying tourists. Their English was pretty good and they and their teacher were very friendly.

Views of and from the Art Gallery were stunning, with all the fountains and cascades being a highlight. After some time spent enjoying the view, I moved on to walk through some gardens, saw the Olympic stadium, and continued along to see great views over the city. I ate my picnic lunch while gazing across the city to the Sagrada Familia and the hills in the distance.

After lunch I took a ride on the amazing Aero cable car across to the harbour. A bit scary at times, especially near the central tower, but amazing views and a very different experience. At the harbour I walked along the boardwalk beside the Mediterranean beaches, which stretch for several kilometres. There were a few keen children paddling, but it was about 17 degrees and a bit windy, so it was quite chilly. There was a bass player busking beside the boardwalk – super funky and worth listening to for a half-hour.

Another longish walk through the amazing beachside suayburban maze of apartments (Barceloneta) to find the metro. Back in time for afternoon tea at the gluten free bakery. The forecast rain then arrived – it had been a cool but mostly sunny day till then, so for our tapas walking tour dinner we needed umbrellas. Probably another 10 kilometres walked today – no wonder my feet are a bit sore! Heading to France tomorrow with an early start to go to the station.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

View from Aero CablecarView from Aero Cablecar
View from Aero Cablecar

Shows one of the cableway towers


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb