Across the border: FRA > ESP


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
September 23rd 2014
Published: September 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

For our last day in Paris we got to enjoy a rare sleep in. Checked out and found some handy lockers at the hostel to store our backpacks - no way we were lugging those around all day!!
Made our way over to look at the Arc de Triomphe, which just happened to be in one of Paris' beautiful shopping districts. Bought ourselves some clothes and found a place that had crepes for lunch - yum!!
Dropped our shopping back at the hostel, then out again to see Sacre Coeur - few doggy characters hanging around so we didn't stay long. Visited the Moulin Rouge area - lots of interesting places in that neighbourhood!! We were looking for somewhere to buy cigarettes and Georgia pointed out a nearby supermarket - thankfully we realised it was an 'erotic supermarket' and gave it a miss...lol!! 😊
We had dinner booked at a French restaurant near Notre Dame so headed over a bit early and sat down in the beautiful gardens for a rest. We were determined to eat French, so Georgia had frogs legs and I had snails for our entree. Plus we enjoyed some yummy champagne!!
A slightly annoying couple seated near us (rich, pompous Americans) made for an amusing meal - they tried to befriend a Mexican couple (who spoke fluent English) seated between us and them...amazing how quickly the Mexicans paid their bill and left!!
Anyway, back to the hostel to collect our stuff then in a taxi to Gare de Austerlitz for our overnight train to Port Bou (Spain). Found our cabin / beds and got settled in - a nice young French guy (who had spent 5 years living in WA and had a slight Aussie accent when he spoke English) plus an elderly French man were on the bottom bunks. Managed to get to sleep but were woken by one of the ushers telling us we were in the wrong cabin and that this part of the train was not going to Port Bou (it would separate at some point during the night). Had to pack up all our things whilst trying not to disturb our sleeping cabin-mates. Followed another usher all the way to the back end of the train where we were supposed to be. A French couple who were already settled and spread out in our cabin (thinking they had it all to themselves) seemed quite annoyed. The usher checked the neighbouring cabin, which turned out to be empty and offered for us to sleep in there. So it worked out nicely for us - we got a cabin to ourselves for the night. The ushers were very nice about the whole thing, seeing as it was us who had stuffed it up!! Woke the next morning, packed and were at Port Bou station before we knew it. Got ourselves on the train that was just about to leave - otherwise we'd have to wait a couple of hours for the next one. All this time we didn't get our passports checked once - so no stamp for Spain 😞 (Maybe we'll get one when we leave?)
Was about 2 and a half hours on the train before we arrived at Barcelona-Sants. Found the Metro information desk but the woman did not speak English. We probably could've worked out how to ask for our tickets in Spanish (and probably even in French - many people here seem to speak French as well as Spanish / Catalan), but decided to give the ticket machines a go. Thankfully it was pretty easy. We got ourselves a three day pass which gives us unlimited travel on buses and trains for the length of our stay.
We are staying at the very nice Hotel
Gaudi, which is just off La Rambla (beautiful and very long pedestrian thoroughfare lined with trees, market stalls, eateries and shops). It is luxury accommodation compared to some of the places we have stayed!!
Only problem was we couldn't check in until 3pm - we got there at 12noon! They locked up our luggage and off we went exploring. Had no idea there is such good shopping here!! With three hours to kill, we spent a lot of euros, but are both very happy with our purchases. 😊 😊
Picked out a restaurant for dinner, continued exploring the gorgeous little lane ways - had plenty of time to enjoy some coffee, amazing hot chocolate and churros at the highly recommended La Granja cafe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Entrance to ConciergerieEntrance to Conciergerie
Entrance to Conciergerie

Ste-Chapelle to the left


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb