7 Insider Tips on What to Do in Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
June 26th 2018
Published: June 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Like me and many others in the world, if you too came to know about Barcelona once it was declared and later served as the venue for the Summer Olympics in 1992, there is nothing to surprise. Barcelona is the 12th most popular city destination in the world and the 5th amongst European cities. Before you book your plane tickets to Barcelona Spain, take a look at the 7 Insider Tips on What to Do in Barcelona.

1. Santa Maria del Mar

Hard and dedicated work pays off – the architectural magnificence of Santa Maria del Mar is a living example of it. Watching the rock pillars supporting the building and the boulders placed on them at a great height you won’t be asking how. The church, transformed from a Gothic temple, has been constructed with vivid glass-panels at different angles to make the most of the solar energy and keep the building illuminated most of the time.

2. La Sagrada Familia

This Roman Catholic Church is a brainchild of one of the renowned Catalan architects Antoni Gaudí. The architecture is a wonderful amalgamation of Gothic and Art Nouveau styles and is one of the tallest churches in Europe. Antoni died earlier at a time when only one-fourth of the work was completed and for years scholars have been debating whether his vision about the building was modified. One of the signatures of Gaudi’s work is to express the coexistence of human beings with other creatures of the world. The building has got unconventional animal representations (e.g., chameleons, turtles, pelicans) in vibrant colours.

3. La Boqueria

If you are a foodie by heart, take out time to visit La Boqueria. This food market attracts more than 45,000 visitors a day. The place showcases and offers its guests Spain’s finest cheeses, charcuterie, seafood, and produce. You are bound to get hooked to its endless stretch of stalls. The place has also got clubs and bars to help you relax and savor on the exquisite ranges of wines and beverages.

4. El Palau de la Musica Catalana

Excellence doesn’t need a validation. Though Gaudi remains as the most celebrated architect, contribution of many of his contemporaries can’t be overlooked and one such iconic figure is Lluís Domènech i Monater, the Barcelona-born architect behind the Palau de la Música Catalana (Palace of Catalan Music), built in 1908.

Recognized as UNESCO World Heritage Site, the auditorium has a breathtaking interior oozing excellence. The place is a mecca for music artists and lovers. Its eco-friendly architecture makes sure that daylight performances don’t have to be supported with artificial lighting. It has witnessed performances by artists to the like of Ella Fitzgerald, Norah Jones, and Paco de Lucía.

5. Las Ramblas

Las Ramblas introduces you to the best and uniqueness of Barcelona. This wide, shady boulevard makes its way through the heart of the city from Plaça de Catalunya down to Port Vell. Street performances reverberate at every turn. Enjoy with the locals or other travellers. If you want to avoid the crowd, head to Columbus Monument, the 18th-story architecture from where you can have the panoramic view of the street. However, travel experts caution travellers from pickpockets so mind it.

6. Cava and Vermouth

Discover the taste of traditionally fermented wines by heading to the place. There are several bars and restaurant-cum-bars like La Vinya del Senyor in the area ready to offer the best of Spain. If you are fortunate to reserve a table on the plaça, you are in to have a wonderful view of Santa María del Mar’s 14th-century façade. If you want to enjoy the company of locals plan your visit on weekends. In the afternoon, locals make their way to the bars to have their good time.

7. Park Güell

The park, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is an outcome of the collaboration of entrepreneur Eusebi Güell (hence the park’s name) and Antoni Gaudí. You might have noticed many of its signatures works like the famous mosaic lizard and spiral towers on postcards. Gaudi realized the vision of the entrepreneur of creating an unmatched residential complex for affluent families and proved that development and environment can coexist. The landscape comprises of 60 homes, a market, and gardens inspired by British parks.

How to Reach Barcelona

The city is served by Barcelona–El Prat Airport (IATA: BCN, ICAO: LEBL), an international airport located 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of the center of Barcelona. There are several world-class popular airlines including American Airlines, American Airlines, Aegean Airlines and Air Europa, to name a few that offers their one-way or round-trip flight services to the destination. Compare airfares with noted ARC-approved travel agencies to book cheap flight tickets to Barcelona.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb