Ali´s travels - the sequel en Espana!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
February 11th 2007
Published: February 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a nice but restless 4 weeks at home getting jabbed nearly every week, am now rabies-free and back on with the travels!

Not quite jet-setting around the world, but am in Salamanca, Spain, doing a Spanish course for 2 weeks, then travelling a bit for the rest of the month.

Salamanca is a small, World Heritage listed city and absolutely gorrrrgeous - the main focus is the grand impressive Plaza Mayor, the Cathedral and the University dating back to the 1300's, but the real charm of the city are the tiny cobbled streets, old sandstone buildings and the general lovely small-town feel. It´s particularly known for being a major university town so there are loads and loads of students everywhere, both Spanish and international - is like being back on campus!

My Spanish school is great, and am in a lovely homestay with a Spanish woman in a posh flat only 2 mins walk from the school! Am really lucky as can literally fall out of bed a few mins before school starts if necessary! Have met lots people from all over the world, through numerous tapas-bar crawls and big partying nights out. Most people are here for a lot longer than I am, and hence their Spanish is a lot better!

Classes are good - have 4 hours a day of grammar and conversation. My initial class was lovely, but all a bit slow and kinda dumb, so was getting very frustrated, so being the geek that I am, I changed to a small group of just 2 so can move faster. Everyone I met at first was much younger than me - most of my class was 18! I kept getting asked questions like - 'so...have you finished high school yet??' People here think I look about 18-19 apparently! But now have met people my own age so don't feel like a grandma!

Am loving learning Spanish and settling well into the Spanish lifestyle of morning classes, huge lunch, siesta, late afternoon shopping, and late late late-night partying! Noone goes out till about 11-12pm and parties until about 6am....even if you get up at 8am, people are still in bars drinking! It´s crazy!

Have a few more days in Salamanca, then going off to various other places before Adam flies out next week, and we are coming back to Salamanca for a few days then spending a few days in Madrid.

Anyways just wanted to put up a few pics as have missed the ol' blog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Salud!Salud!
Salud!

Back to the student days....plastic cups the size of my head!
Me and EvelynMe and Evelyn
Me and Evelyn

Eating yet more tapas!


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb