Day 6 Leon to Ponferrada


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Ponferrada
May 15th 2017
Published: May 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

san franciso aubergesan franciso aubergesan franciso auberge

Owned by the monks it is on the Camino, has an excellent bike storage area and is very central in Leon, good laundry and dining facilities
Today was extraordinary , we left Leon at daybreak from the San Francisco auberge owned and run by monks, an excellent place to stay. We cycled west with a slight following wind and made the first 50 Km to Astorga (what a beautiful city!) in good time. I had further puncture issues so decided to buy a replacement inner tube on very close inspection of my tyre I found a tiny slither of sharp rock had embedded itself in the tyre (the reason I kept getting punctures in the same back tyre!), removed it and replaced the tube. This cost us time but we still manged a relaxing lunch in the town square. We began to notice the flora and forna change as we headed into the hills, it had been a cool start but beginning to heat up. The journey up the mountain was tough, but the rewards immense as we had a 24 Km descent into some amazing scenery in now very hot weather. Checked into our 5 star auberge had and excellent meal in Leon and ready for an early night before attacking the ascent to o' cabriero tomorrow morning. We are now about 42 k behind original plan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb