Spain 5 - It's Friday and it's castle day -On the road to another couple of castles


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Medina del Campo
September 8th 2013
Published: September 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Campo del Medina Campo del Medina Campo del Medina

Castel la Mota
Friday – Castle day as we headed off early in a westerly direction in search of the castles of Spain. Our first stop of the day was the town on Medina del Campo, a town which became wealthy in medieval times on the proceeds of the huge sheep fairs. The only sheep we saw today was Sion and he certainly was not for sale. The region around the town was mainly agricultural with corn and harvested hay in big haystacks. What we didn’t see was cattle or sheep of any sort. The landscape is definitely agricultural in this part of the world. The houses pink and orange and not particularly aesthetically pleasing inparts as much of the country does look rather run down which is sad as it has much to offer the tourist..

We parked up on a huge carpark right outside the castle and guess what Woolly it was closed until 11.00. It seems the day starts late at 10 in this part of the world and then sleeps in the afternoon until it wakes up again later in the day. Siesta is alive and well in Spain. We had wanted to go and see the castle and
Campo del Medina Campo del Medina Campo del Medina

Castle la Mota
tried to search for a supermarket where we could while away half an hour or so but there were none to be seen. The weather was hotting up nicely so we walked around the outside of the castle snapping away. What a photogenic castle it is too. It began its life as a Moorish castle built in the brick Gothic Mudejar style and rebuilt in 1440. The ownership of the castle apparently went to Isabel I and the crown in 1475 and then to her daughter Juana La Loco (the mad). It was used as a prison and Cesare Borgia whose grave we sought out at Viana was imprisioned here between 1506 and 1508 before he escaped. It was a lovely castle very different to those we had seen before. A real fairy tale style. I dont suppose we missed much not going inside.



Medina del Campo to Coca Our second castle of the day and this time we timed it a little better arriving just an hour before they opened the doors to the public. Our drive from Medina to here was through pine woods. Each tree having its own little buckets attached to the trunks as they were being “farmed “ for resin. The roadsides were tinder dry and signs proclaimed that it was illegal to discard cigarette butts due to risk of fire. And it was clear to see that the slightest thing would start a wildfire out of control.

No tolls today just miles of empty motorway as we headed west. Castillo de Coca in the town of Coca was sitting like on its own island of green grass lovingly watered by water fountains. The first green we have seen for a week. Grass never looked so lush, it could have been an English lawn

The castle didn’t open until 10 so we checked about parking Suzy outside and a lovely lady came out and explained we could not park where we had stopped as it was forbidden. However where there was yellow alongside the kerb we were free to park. We moved and then went for a walk up the town. Past the bullring which looked as if it were redundant to the arch built by the Roman emperor Theodoric whom we had come across before in May in Ravenna.



We walked into the town which was empty. No shops apart from one or two. Where do the population buy their fresh bread and their provisions? It was hard to tell. According to the lady at the castle it was Spanish holiday time and most of the cafes would be closed although we did find one. With no Spanish I tried to order an Espresso which I got but I failed miserably ordering the capaccino. They didn’t have any which seemed odd and I had to settle for normal con lecce. We sat awhile people watching and the locals watched us. They even laughed at my lack of Spanish and the cats face I made of ordering things but then that’s the fun of travelling. I don’t mind making a fool of myself and try to learn along the way. I found the locals lovely in this small town.

We walked back to the castle which by now was open and paid our entrance fee of 2 euros each – a reduction of 70 cents each as we were old age pensioners. That’s a cup of espresso coffee so I am not complaining.



The castle was built in the late 15th century by
CocaCocaCoca

Gateway to the town
the Fonseca family. It is one of Castille and Leons most influential castles. It was mainly residential and not military but it does have a fine collection of Mudejar military features. Turrets and towers in abundance. The architecture is so different from any castles we have seen elsewhere and quite unique. We climbed up the steep steps to the top of the keep and then managed to miss the Room of Secrets and the Dungeon. A wrong turning on the way down. But what a lovely place to see and one I am glad we made the effort to visit before we headed for our overnight stop at Camping Aqueducto.



We are following in your pawprints Woolly!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb