IV: Unexpected Spanish Host Family (Toledo)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
April 20th 2010
Published: April 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

SDC13168SDC13168SDC13168

Toldeo train station
Tuesday, April 20

With no where to be, and no alarm to set, I slept like a rock. It was 11:00am when Cyntia woke me, and I swear I could have slept longer. Payardo was waiting for us, so I quickly got ready and then we went out to breakfast at a local cafe. The Spanish typically eat a light breakfast, a big lunch around 3:00pm with lots of tapas-like things, and a light dinner around 10:00pm. I chose a cafe con leche and a big chocolate croissant. YUM.

Afterwards, Payardo had to go to work, so Cyntia and I went to the Atocha train station to see about buying our tickets to Toledo, since we'd decided to take a day trip there. Because of all the travel chaos, the waiting room was full to the brim. We took our ticket, but realized it would be a long, long time before we were served. So we decided to go back out onto the street, because there were some leather purses I'd seen that interested me.

After shopping around at this one stand for a while, I picked out my perfect purse. It's made of worn-in caramel-colored leather, with elaborate designs auled into the soft skin. For 25 euro I was a very happy girl!

Back at the train station, we kicked ourselves as we realized that we'd missed our turn. So we took another ticket and waited for about an hour. Finally, we were able to buy our train ticket, but for a time two hours later than we'd originally hoped that morning.

Before too long we hopped on the train for the short 30 minute ride to Toledo, land of Don Quixote! Toledo is a lovely little town perched atop a hill, with medieval style walls that are layered towards the summit like lopsided calamari rings. A river runs at the base; almost an oxbow. And along the hills, yellow flowers provide a cheerful mesh of color.

Though the landscape was enchanting, Cyntia and I were both exhausted and hoping to find a late lunch (it was already 5pm, but in Spain it's like that). We asked an old shop keeper if he knew a good restaurant "no muoy caro" and he pointed us down the street. But first we visited the cathedral and climbed the belfry. The view was awesome!
SDC13171SDC13171SDC13171

cathedral

At our very late lunch, I ate gazpacho (a typical Spanish tomato soup that is served cold), fried calamari, and chocolate torte for less than 9 euro. Geez, I love Spain! Later, we explored the gift shops and bought something each for Juana and her daughter.

Then it was train back to Madrid, metro back the Juana's place, and sleep!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

SDC13205SDC13205
SDC13205

interior of the church who's tower we climbed
SDC13206SDC13206
SDC13206

view from the top of the tower


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb