The Volcano 'El Teide'


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
May 25th 2011
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We left Playa de las Americas behind us and took the curvy roads to the mountains. The landscape of this island is lovely. Notable is the many different flora and fauna which we never saw before. Especially the big number of different cactuses. Some of them was nearly difficult to differentiate if they were cactuses or trees.

Slowly we approach the city of Vilaflor, which is located at 1500 meters high and at the same time it is the highest settled city of Tenerife. This beautiful village has an amazing view to the south part of the island. Also the fact that it is close to 'the border of the clouds, makes this city mystic.

After our break at Vilafor we continued to go up to the mountains. While driving we crossed the clouds border and we were driving above the clouds. Viewing the clouds from above while driving was a complete new experience for us.

We entered the national park of El Teide. The terrain changes dramatically and suddenly becomes an amazing lunar landscape. Also the temperature dropped significantly and we realized that we were not able to walk a lot with the clothes we brought with us. Became completely dizzy due to the curvy roads we arrived to the area of the volcano.

El Teide is not an active volcano but also not passive. The last eruption was at 1909. We could see the grooves where the lava streamed down.

The best way to reach the highest point of the peak is by cable car. Once at the top, you can walk around and take in the amazing sights. Here, you are almost at the summit but the only way to reach the mouth of the volcano is to get permission beforehand from the national park's office in Orotava via the website where you can apply for a permit. Alternatively, guided walks up the volcano are available, but please remember that you will need a fairly high level of fitness to endure the climb, which takes around six hours. Also, it is worth bearing in mind to bring along warmer clothes and appropriate footwear.

Without going to the peak we made some pictures and enjoyed the landscape. It was quite fresh and very windy and as we were not really prepared for this temperature, we decided to continue to drive to north part of the island.

Taking the curvy roads down we crossed again the 'cloud border' and after a short drive and becomming dizzy again we arrived to the city 'Puerto de la Cruz'.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb